Is this exhaust manifold gasket OK?

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just unboxed a new Mercruiser Exhaust manifold for my 3.0lx engine, and the gasket was a little bent from the shipping. I'm new to this, and my first reaction was to call my marina and tell them it was damaged and I needed a new one. But, the parts guy has gone home, and now I'm wondering if I'm making something out of nothing. Could you take a look and tell me if this gasket is OK? It was bent a little in two different spots. I sort of bent it back and flattened it in my hand, so it looks better now than it first did. I really want to get this done tomorrow, but I don't want to put a gasket on that will cause me problems down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo221855.jpg
    photo221855.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221856.jpg
    photo221856.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221857.jpg
    photo221857.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221858.jpg
    photo221858.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
Those gaskets are pretty rugged in a good way. Yours looks usable to me.:encouragement:

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those gaskets are pretty rugged in a good way. Yours looks usable to me.:encouragement:

Usable sounds like it would work, but may be sub-optimal. If they can't get me a new one, I can cough up $15 for another one from a different marina and try to work it out later. I''d rather pay another 15, if it might be iffy

Fun Times

Staff member
Here's some other photos of your gasket part number that may help you decide if you'd like to use the one you have or not. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=27-815528&_sacat=0

Those longer graphite type gaskets do tend to develop the crinkled appearance due to mishandling, not being hung up on a wall vs being thrown on a shelf laying over half an item causing a bend to the other half due to no support, etc.

851.jpg

NHGuy

Captain
Yeah, that's going to seal fine around the exhaust passages. Torque it from the center out, 2 or 3 steps to full value.

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mec 3.0lx exhaust manifold torque specs?

Hey everyone,

Installing a new exhaust manifold and elbow tomorrow and I can't find the installation instructions in the manual I have. It says to refer to section 7B, but it's missing from the PDF. Does anyone have a working link to a full manual, or can anyone help me out with the correct torque on the manifold bolts? I'd like to try to get this right : )

Fun Times

Staff member
23 ft. lb. starting in the center working outwards. Also the OEM service manual # 13 say after engine has been brought up to temp, allow engine to cool and Re-torque manifold fasteners.

Also I'm going to move this topic over with your manifold gasket question to keep it all together since it's pretty much the same area of the engine you're working on.

Last edited:

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

One more question- There are 3 studs which fasten with nuts on the other end, and two bolts in the kit. Does anyone know where the three studs go as opposed to the 2 bolts? Does it matter?

Say we number the mounting holes in this picture from 1 to 5, left to right. Where should the two bolts go?

Attachments

• photo221894.png
    photo221894.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 0

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nevermind- I just realized I can go look at the block and see where the old mounting studs are. :)

Fun Times

Staff member
Nevermind- I just realized I can go look at the block and see where the old mounting studs are. :)
Please share your learning knowledge about this question for the next member going down the same wondering path.;):)