99' mercruiser 3.0L 2bbl. carburator problems??

JohnKorte

Seaman
Took the boat out for the first time this year. Had 1/2 tank of fuel from winter, put in bottle of seafoam added 5-6 gallons of fuel. Started just fine and boated out to the other side of lake No problem. When I idled down the engine died, It had problems starting. When I finally started the engine it would idle fine in neutral but once I put it in gear it would die. It took awhile but I was able to idle high in neutral and quickly put it in gear and get back to the dock. So it ran ok at high RPM but will not run in gear at low rpm. Any suggestions??
Thanks,
john

BigOtis

Cadet
This is exactly what my boat done 2 weeks ago. I mean exactly. Must be an issue with these 2bbl carburators I sure would like to know what the guys suggest. I still havent got mine running right yet, but first guess is carburator? I just had my carb rebuilt one year ago and the boat was winterized right by the book. Ive been told its possibly the jets in the carburator so im prolly gonna pull the carb off and take it in for a rebuild AGAIN.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... A carb rebuild is only Good, til the next slug of water, 'n crud gets into it,.....

Sounds like ya both need to rebuild yer carbs,...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
A 3 liter typically doesn't have a fuel/water separator on from the factory. Does yours? If not, you need to install one. I agree that it sounds like you picked up some water, n' crud as Bondo suggests. The carb may or may not need a complete rebuild, but at the very least you need to separate the halves and look at the fuel bowl. My guess is you will see water there.