Mercruiser wont go in reverse

Dutchlarson

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all

I recently bought a '03 Larson 210lxi in the Netherlands. From the start i have a problem that it wont go in reverse properly. I read some earlier topics about the same problem, but this was always a shifter cable issue. I think mine is not.

The problem can be described as follows:
- it sometimes works and sometimes dont.
- going in forward gear is working fine
- it does not make a rattling noise like you are shifting to slow or not all the way in. It makes a bonking noise.
- the shifter cables were checked out by my dealer and he could not see any problem with them.

I have made a short video of this. First i shift in reverse and you hear the cluncking noise. Then i shift in forward, and no problem http://youtu.be/ks34hIoZn88

I really hope to get some tips and advice here! Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all

I recently bought a '03 Larson 210lxi in the Netherlands. From the start i have a problem that it wont go in reverse properly. I read some earlier topics about the same problem, but this was always a shifter cable issue. I think mine is not.

The problem can be described as follows:
- it sometimes works and sometimes dont.
- going in forward gear is working fine
- it does not make a rattling noise like you are shifting to slow or not all the way in. It makes a bonking noise.
- the shifter cables were checked out by my dealer and he could not see any problem with them.

I have made a short video of this. First i shift in reverse and you hear the cluncking noise. Then i shift in forward, and no problem http://youtu.be/ks34hIoZn88

I really hope to get some tips and advice here! Thanks in advance!

:welcome: to iboats

Sounds almost like the shift interrupter is hanging in the engaged position. It doesn't sound like a gear noise, it sounds like the engine is missing, same thing should happen when going out of gear from neutral. Check the position of the switch

Bondo

Staff member
the shifter cables were checked out by my dealer and he could not see any problem with them.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Did the Dealer check anything else,..??

It sounds like a poorly adjust cable, or a busted gear,.... ya didn't leave it there very long,....

If the cable, yer guy shoulda found it,....

If a gear, droppin' the oil, shoulda revealed ground metal in the oil, silver streaks at least,...

Dutchlarson

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your replies!

Its back to the dealer now. He was also thinking about the shift interrupt switch

Problem is that sometimes it goes in reverse fine 20 times in a row. But then suddenly it doesnt for a few times. Its difficult for him to diagnose it because of that.

Dutchlarson

Seaman Apprentice
:welcome: to iboats

Sounds almost like the shift interrupter is hanging in the engaged position. It doesn't sound like a gear noise, it sounds like the engine is missing, same thing should happen when going out of gear from neutral. Check the position of the switch

I think its not the engine missing. The sound you hear you can also feel it in the boat like there is some parts hitting (hard to describe for me in english sorry)

That is why i dont leave it long in reverse then because it feels like i am destroying something.

Fun Times

Staff member
It's time you thoroughly go through the shift cable adjustment and the link below will help you do just that.
GASOLINE STERNDRIVE INSTALLATION MANUAL Shift ?

But before you go through the whole procedure, check three things first.
1) make sure the nut that holds the lower shift cable to the adjustable shift stud is backed off one full turn which will allow the washer to turn freely. If any of the nut's are too tight on the shift plate, it could have an negative effect on shifting. From the video, it sort of appears the shifting cable isn't 100% correct as it seems the cable tends to still travel inwards as the throttle is advancing at speed.< It seems excessive.

2) Also check to see if the adjustable stud is at the bottom of it's travel or towards the top. To understand this question, read page 94 of 137. You have the right hand rotation, signal lever shift control. If the adjustment stud is at the bottom, try moving it upwards to see if you can get a more positive engagement to reverse.

3) Be sure to check the "ease" of the lower shift cable by removing it from the shift plate and moving the cable in and out by hand while someone carefully turns the prop by hand checking for the prop to fully lock in one direction but not the opposite direction. If any heavy resentence is felt, you'll need to try a new lower shift cable to help know if the problem lies elsewhere.

Hopefully you don't have an issue with your shift spool inside your lower gear housing. Item number 41, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...c=GEAR+HOUSING(PROP+SHAFT)(STANDARD+ROTATION)