Failed pressure test

So my Alpha 1 outdrive leaking gear oil out of drain hole and water intakes. Pulled drive off and pressure tested to 15psi. Looks like the leak is at the drive shaft seal on the upper half. Split the halves to check out the seal. My question is what keeps that seal in place once it is installed? Its seems that a new seal even when installed properly would "pop" out under 15psi. There is nothing there to keep it from moving down the shaft except the small rubber o ring.

Thanks in advance

Matt

UncleWillie

Captain
Alpha Gen1 or Gen 2 ???
If it is a Gen 2 there is no pressure in the drive to pop anything.
The only pressure in a Gen 1 is from the Air trapped in the drive expanding when it heats up under load.
The O-ring should not blow out even at 15psi unless it is badly worn and undersized.
At 15 psi, you are testing it at a pressure it will never see.
The pressure test is to confirm that all the seals are in place before committing to the oil fill.
If it will hold 5 psi for 6 hours, you are golden.

Its a Gen 1 Bill. I suppose I'll split the halves again and make sure its seated properly and pressure test it again using lower pressure initially. If it fails Ill have to take it the shop to replace as I dont have the proper tools.

Thanks Bill

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the smaller seal you see if to prevent water from entering the cavity, the oil seal is above it and the upper needs to be dis-assembled to replace it.