Bravo drive is hard to shift into reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
In some reference to this old topic, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/264711-bravo-3-shifting-problem

I have a 1997 donzi expres cruiser with a mercruiser 7.4 liter with a bravo three out drive. Recently I had the shift cable replaced because it was hard to shift it in reverse ,
But I still have a problem it's still hard to put in reverse would you know why?

:welcome: to iboats

The bravo drive shifts very easy if adjusted correctly and there are no issues with the drive. The adjustment is fairly simple but does require a couple special tools. The person who replaced the cable was this a dealership or just a friend?

alldodge

Staff member
You can do this either on the water out in the open, tied up to the dock or with muffs. Remove the lower cable from the shift plate. Just remove the nut on the end and the cotter pin holding the brass feral. Try not to turn the feral so adjustment will stay the same.

Start the engine and then while holding the feral move the cable in, back to center, then out from center. You will be changing from forward to reverse. If it does it smooth and there are no issues the your drive is working correctly.

ShiftCable0001.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
I tried this and still hard to shift

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I guess the next step is either pull the drive to see Why, or call yer mechanic, 'n have him find out what he missed,....

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, it sure sounds like the problem is in your drive, not the cables.

When was the last time the gear lube is changed or checked?

Matts5150

Cadet
I'm having the same issue I have a bravo 3 it shifts forward without issue but when I try to shift in reverse it's extremely hard but once I get past the first point then it shifts into reverse freely. Going to try the steps above and if it shifts freely following steps above my guess is it would have to be either the cable or the shift box by the helm? Does the shift box by the helm ever have to be lubricated?? I have a 2007 Sea Ray. If so is it a difficult task ..do I have to pull the whole shift box down from the interior of the boat to get in there to spray some WD-40 or whatever recommended lubricant any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.