1997 Mercruiser 4.3 Starting Issues

southpaw7752

Recruit
Long time lurker - lots of great information on here. Having an issue with a Mercruiser 4.3. It's started and run great a few times this season, but will randomly not start again. it sounds like it's cranking fine, but as soon as the key is out of the start position the engine is off. A bit perplexed by this one as it's not a consistent problem. Any insight greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Long time lurker - lots of great information on here. Having an issue with a Mercruiser 4.3. It's started and run great a few times this season, but will randomly not start again. it sounds like it's cranking fine, but as soon as the key is out of the start position the engine is off. A bit perplexed by this one as it's not a consistent problem. Any insight greatly appreciated.

:welcome: back

It might just be the ignition switch, they do go bad. Next time it does it take a volt meter and see if you have 12V at the coil

southpaw7752

Recruit
ignition switch doesn't seem to be the culprit. i put a jumper between ignition lead and battery lead and still can't get it to stay turned over. It ran fine on the lake this morning (I didn't turn it off out of fear it wouldn't start again) when I pulled back to the dock it wouldn't start to trailer.

southpaw7752

Recruit
Think the problem is solved. Safety Lanuard had some corrosion in the terminals on the back under the dash. Took a wire brush to them and plugged back in. Fired right up. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction of the ignition system