Ran my 454 overheated for too long. Now what?

steinjo

Seaman Apprentice
1996 454 Magnum MPI with the VST system
Engine # 0F802536 Model # 4454118JT

Thought the alarm was low gear lube sensor and ignored it for about 8 minutes until I glanced at temp gauge and it was way up and smoke was coming from engine compartment. I shut down at that point. I know, stupid but have to deal with it..
Lost the belt to the raw water pump due to bearings in the idler tension pulley failing.

I have the pulley on order and plan to replace pulley and belt. I have not tried to start since it overheated. Was going to wait for parts.

QUESTION. Anything that I should look for or check before trying to start? Any easy way to check for cracked manifolds, gaskets, etc. prior to starting? Oil on dipstick looks good.

Once I get that far I'll be back with more questions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Did you actually see where the smoke was coming from? If the engine got too hot, and it sounds like it did, you could be looking at some serious repairs. Gaskets and seal usually go first, then bearings and bushings close behind. Even if you manage to get it cranked again and seemingly nothing wrong, watch for leaks to start at the most inopportune times. And a seriously hot engine can warp heads and even block. So I hope you fair well, but expect the worst... :facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You could measure compression and see what that is if you get bored.

Your main issue may be a warped head and/or blown head gasket though which may not show up with a compression test.

alldodge

Staff member
Check your rubber exhaust boots for soft spots, engine getting that hot will melt the rubber

Thought the alarm was low gear lube sensor and ignored it

Suggest fixing that outdrive leak