Best way to flush an Alpha I Gen II leg?

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HI,

I had a seal go on my Alpha 1 Gen II leg letting a small amount of water enter the gearbox. Fortunately I caught this early. I found the compromised seal and replaced it/ pressure tested etc... Now I'm having a devil of a time getting the last of the water-contaminated drive oil out of the system. I have the remote oil reservoir at the engine so those lines really should get cleaned out/ flushed as well.

Who has good advice for me on how to best accomplish this? So far I have flushed with gear oil into the leg (off the boat) and then turned the drive shaft for a while to spin the gears and distribute the oil, and then re-drained. After several repetitions of this I still have traces of contaminated oil in the drive!

Peter

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If you've got most of the water out, 'n only have traces of it now, put it together, 'n run it,...

The tiny bit left will steam off when run,.....

Fun Times

Staff member
I'm with Bondo! Go run it for 10 hours or so and change the oil. But after the first run ensure there is no fresh clean/clear water the second you pull the bottom drain plug out and quickly re-plug it saving your oil for the next trip out. It will take a while to get mostly every bit of the white/milky oil completely out of there...And a few more frequent oil changes than normal should help a little too.