serpentine belt not turning

lmholmes11

Seaman
Got the boat all cleaned and put water to it with the hose. Started it, started up right away. Looked in engine saw water coming out of a hose I forgot to hook back up. Fixed it, started up again and it started to squeal, the belts not moving. Took the belt off and confirmed the sea water pump pulley is not turning. What would cause it to seize up like that if it was turning a few seconds ago? Anyone know where to get remanufactured pumps, or a pump cheaper then $350-600?
Its a Merc 350 MAG MPI.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
most times the raw water impeller just needs to be changed. what hose did you forget to hook up?

lmholmes11

Seaman
It was the output hose from the raw water pump, back side of the engine. Would a bad impeller cause the pulley to not turn though?

Fun Times

Staff member
Typically the impeller blades gets stuck in one or two of the water passage holes and freezes up.....Since your at home it's best to change the impeller now. Should you be on the water and it freezes, some have been able to successfully remove the belt and turn the pulley the opposite direction to free the impeller.

Be sure the impeller housing pulley "shaft" isn't loose or falling out in any way by trying to physically move the pulley shaft in and out. Some have been known to come apart internally.:(

If the impeller housing is deeply grooved then you could try sanding it smooth, get a stainless steel impeller wear plate kit, or upgrade to an Hardin Marine Stainless Steel impeller housing such as one of these in the following link depending on what engine model/year/serial number you have. http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-132-mercury-sea-pumps.aspx

lmholmes11

Seaman
S/N: 0L092310

Thanks guys I'll let you all know what I find when I remove it. Just trying to figure out how to lean over the back seat enough to get it out!

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks guys I'll let you all know what I find when I remove it. Just trying to figure out how to lean over the back seat enough to get it out!

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...r=2691&bnbr=150&bdesc=SEA+WATER+PUMP+ASSEMBLY
If it is locked up you can rebuild it with the list of parts below
30-72961 bearing 2 ea (item 11)
26-72785 seal 1 ea (item 10)
26-90562 seal 2 ea (item 14)

Need a pulley puller to remove pulley
snap ring pliers
Press or large vise to press on bearings

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Take Out any seats, benches, or any other "Boat" in yer way,.....

That's part of Mechanicin',.... Removin' enough other junk to reach what ya wanta work on,....

lmholmes11

Seaman
Took out the rear seats, made it much easier! Took the pump out and turns out it was just the impeller. On one side the fins were all touching one another and the other side looked normal. I tried to upload a picture but it said it was too big of file.

lmholmes11

Seaman
Okay, is it possible my impeller somehow spun the wrong way inside the housing? Every service manual and video I see show it the opposite way than I took it out. Can I email someone a picture to confirm this? The picture I took is too large to post on here

alldodge

Staff member
Okay, is it possible my impeller somehow spun the wrong way inside the housing? Every service manual and video I see show it the opposite way than I took it out. Can I email someone a picture to confirm this? The picture I took is too large to post on here

Don't see how that could happen, but you might have put the hoses on backwards. Go to photobucket.com and load your pic there. Once uploaded select the IMG link and post it here

alldodge

Staff member
Edit yes you listed your serial number so you have a 1998 engin
Is your belt on correctly, you have the mando alternator
belt.jpg

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Here's your picture:

IMG_20150531_171107_zpscf1bv0pn.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I don't see anything which would give me concern. Can you turn the pulley by hand without the pump on it?

alldodge

Staff member
Yeah I can. So the correct direction of travel is counter clockwise correct?

Your right, the impeller has a set where it has been rotating clockwise and now it is being rotated counter clockwise. Also see what might be a crack. Either way looks like it needs to be replaced
1111 crack.jpg

lmholmes11

Seaman
Yeah I have a new impeller because that one has multiple cracks. It's strange how it changed directions? This is probably why the pulley wouldn't turn.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
edit: I have to correct myself. In looking at the diagrams I thought the pump should turn counter clockwise... but no, it should turn clockwise.

Did your engine "diesel" at all when it shut off?

Last edited: