rive lube reservoir level suddenly staying in one place, am I getting lube?

PakJohn

Recruit
First, a little background: I recently purchased a 2007 Searay 200 sundeck with a 5;0 litre MPI Mercruser, only had 93 hours on the clock. Took it to a Merc dealer and had it checked out and serviced early this year. Since beginning to use in late February the drive lube reservoir would use about a pint of oil per tank of gas. (At least the cap says drive lube, it's a reservoir on the right side of the motor above the power steering pump.

Over memorial day weekend I ran a whole tank out and the level of oil didn't move but an eighth of an inch. Everything operated smoothly other than an occasional beep showing system fault when going from idle to on plane that would disappear before I could even look at it.

I live on a lake and don't have a trailer so I want to have an idea of what's going on before taking it to a dealer for repair. Is it possible I had a dry seal that leaked oil that finally loosened up and stopped using oil? How much oil should the drive lube use? I usually get to plane using full power then back off to less than 50% throttle, the boat now has 110 hours on it.

I spent a couple hours searching the forum and couldn't find a direct answer so I decided to post.

Engine Serial Number: OW654955
Transom Serial Number OW726989
Drive Serial Number OW869614

Very appreciative of any help and am happy to find this forum!
PakJohn

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I read a crazy article about lube oil characteristics that stated oil when put under a load will break down into smaller components which will cause oil level to drop from a new oil state until it's to the point of be fully broken down and then will remain a constant level. Once the oil has broke down its lubricating properties are poorer then prior to break down and the oil should be changed. Now, I don't if I believe all of this but it makes sense. I'm sure we'll get some more information on this.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Shouldn't the drive lube oil level stay the same? That is after initial fill, there will be some settling, then it will stay constant.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
after the initial filling and the burping, the lever should remain somewhat constant. The drive uses no oil and needs no oil added unless there is a leak.

Bondo

Staff member
I read a crazy article about lube oil characteristics that stated oil when put under a load will break down into smaller components which will cause oil level to drop from a new oil state until it's to the point of be fully broken down and then will remain a constant level. Once the oil has broke down its lubricating properties are poorer then prior to break down and the oil should be changed. Now, I don't if I believe all of this but it makes sense. I'm sure we'll get some more information on this.

Ayuh,..... Sounds Bogus to Me,.....

I'm goin' with BD, once Full, it's Full, 'n should stay there,....

PakJohn

Recruit
Thanks for all the responses, happy to hear. It makes sense to me a seal may have been dry due to storage or unuse and after a little running regained it's flexibility. I'll continue to monitor and hope for the best.

Fun Times

Staff member

UncleWillie

Captain
Took it to a Merc dealer and had it checked out and serviced early this year. Since beginning to use in late February the drive lube reservoir would use about a pint of oil per tank of gas. (At least the cap says drive lube, it's a reservoir on the right side of the motor above the power steering pump.

Yes! That is the Drive Lube Reservoir on the engine. Commonly called the "Monitor" Bottle.
As the drive heats and cools repeatedly, the air in the drive will "Burp" into the Monitor Bottle when Hot and then pull some oil back as it Cools.
My Alpha 1 Gen 2 Monitor Bottle goes from FULL to ADD over the course of about 40 hours.
That takes about 6 complete tanks of fuel and 10-12 Outing to use ~1/2 pint!
An empty Alpha Drive uses ~3 pints to fill nominally, and less than 4 to fill it completely.
In 17 hours you should not need to add any oil. It might be a little below full, but not empty!
All the seals rubber and do not dry out like gaskets.

If you added more than 1 pint, something is wrong.
If you added 3 pints before it stopped drawing oil excessively, it was empty at the start.

If servicing it included inspecting/replacing the impeller, The drive had to be drained to do the service.
It is easier to refill the drive after remounting it on the boat.
It is also easy to forget, or assume someone else fill it before remounting it.
It would not be the first time someone forgot to fill the drive after remounting it.
Even if bone dry, filling the monitor bottle would not cause any oil to drain into an empty drive and raise the alarm flag that the drive was empty.
Nothing warns of an empty drive. It will only pull oil while cooling.
Every time you come off plane and the drive gets submerged in the cool water, some oil gets pulled in.

Drain some oil out of the bottom of the drive.
It naturally smells nasty even when new, but it should be a nice pretty clear Blue/Green Color.
If it looks silvery, with microscopic metal flakes..... :eek:

Last edited:

PakJohn

Recruit
Thanks Bill! The boat sits on a lift in the water but I think there's enough room to safely drain a bit for inspection. Now I have something to look for I can be confident as to the need to take it for repair or not. As busy as the local shop is, taking it now would mean not getting it back for a couple months. Not a good proposition....

UncleWillie

Captain
As it is probably full now, the damage, if any, is already done.
If it is still moving the boat, enjoy the season, and decide what to do in the fall.

If the Oil is full of metal, drain it out and refill.
It is filled by pumping oil in through the bottom drain hole by the prop.
You will need 2 quarts of Drive Oil and a Gear Lube Pump. Commonly Available.
Keep pumping until it starts to fill the reserve Bottle. ~400 pumps!
Swap bottles before the first one goes empty so not to pump in air.

Last edited: