Exhaust Bellow Popped Off-Install Exhaust Tube Instead? Alpha 1 Gen2

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
My exhaust bellow came off on the outdrive side when I trimmed my engine up to tow it after sitting all winter. 2 seasons back it came off and I got it back on, but it was a hellish task.

Could I leave it as is and will it function like an exhaust tube does? It is still hooked onto the stern drive side exactly how an exhaust tube is installed.

My only concern is can the existing exhaust bellow get pinched or something like that when I have the engine trimmed all the way down? Should I just use as is, or take off and install an exhaust bellow?

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if your Bellows are popping off because they are retaining their form I would replace all of my bellows before I considered putting my family back on the boat

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
if your Bellows are popping off because they are retaining their form I would replace all of my bellows before I considered putting my family back on the boat
This bellow has always been a bit finicky. I used to store the boat with the outdrive all the way up, didn't know any better at the time, so I can recall it coming off a time or two. Other bellows look like they are in good shape and I am planning to change next season preventatively.

So will the regular bellow get in the way and potentially cause issues? I was thinking that since it is longer than the exhaust tube it may have a chance to pinch or something like that? Anyone know for sure?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It probably wasn't glued. Maybe just change to an exhaust tube. Hopefully others will chime in and answer your question better.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would put it back on and tighten the clamp better.

If you put it back on use spray some Mercruiser Power Tune instead. ;)

Hold it there for a few seconds for it to set up... It won't come off again.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
Just cut about 1/3 of the exhaust bellows off and leave the rest attached to the transom assembly. Make it so when the drive is down it just compresses the exhaust bellows a little. That way you dont have to worry about it getting pinched. Same idea as the tube except you dont have to buy one or spend the time installing it. That's exactly how i run my boat with a 5.7 and alpha drive. I just installed all 3 new bellows this year and cut the exhaust bellows before even mounting it to the transom. It works perfectly. Probably makes a little more noise this way but its no big deal.

Last edited: