bogging at high rpm after long day of trolling

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have another question, I'm only asking it bc you brought it to my attention your handicap of not being able to lay hands on the boat. That means you can't lay hands on me either for asking another seafoam question. ;)

When I put the new fuel filter/ separator on, could I fill it with straight seafoam (which would act as gumout correct?.) then start the boat and let the seafoam be drawn into the carb and system. Shut it down and let it sit ? Did I mention the "buy one get one" at Autozone?

Bondo

Staff member
Donno,.... I don't use snake oil, I'm a Mechanic remember,.... ;) :D

Donno's it's volatile enough on it's own to run,....

I run diesels on WD 40 in a pinch, seafoam would also work,...... in a Diesel motor,....

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I was looking at pictures of rochester carbs and I found where the inline filter goes , that looks simple to change , im confident I can do it lol....

On another note , how do I find out what coil I need for my engine? would this help?

Attachments

• photo221697.jpg
    photo221697.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I was looking at pictures of rochester carbs and I found where the inline filter goes , that looks simple to change , im confident I can do it lol....

On another note , how do I find out what coil I need for my engine? would this help?

That's your engine serial number (0B582330) and with it we can find everything for and about your engine. The coil part number is 300-8M0079202 , but I would find out if you actually need one before buying one. Basically its a 12V coil which requires an external resistor. Your resistor is part of the purple wire which connects to the positive side of the coil

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone,

A lot of comments about additives in this thread. There are certainly some additives out there that make very far reaching claims. Others, however, make a couple of specific claims that have performed as advertised. If you haven't used a fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment and have had good luck with your fuel system, keep doing what you've been doing. The reality is that there are issues that can arise with gas (especially ethanol blended gas). Some of those issues include shelf life of the gas, phase separation, etc.

If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out.

Have a great day!

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys I was watching a YouTube vid on changing the inline filter on a Rochester quadrajet carb. I noticed when he pulled the old filter out he also pulled out an old gasket and spring and replaced with new. My question is when I purchase a new filter will it come with a new gasket or do I have to use the old one or hunt down a new one. If so what size?

alldodge

Staff member
Ok guys I was watching a YouTube vid on changing the inline filter on a Rochester quadrajet carb. I noticed when he pulled the old filter out he also pulled out an old gasket and spring and replaced with new. My question is when I purchase a new filter will it come with a new gasket or do I have to use the old one or hunt down a new one. If so what size?

It will come with a gasket, if it doesn't take it back and go somewhere else to get it. All filters come with gaskets

Last edited:

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Has anyone ever found anything obstructing this inline filter? My fingers are crossed it may be the problem, if it were clogged would I have the same symptoms? I don't know if it's ever been changed

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update
Well I got 2 filters from autozone on the way to the lake. I got to the marina and removed the small inline filter at the carb. It didnt match the 2 i bought so i will return them. The filter that came out was a small plastic screen like filter attached to the spring. It was 3/4 clogged with a brown sandlike sediment. I took it to nearest auto parts store wrapped in a napkin to buy a match. When i got to the store the they did not carry the filter in store.

I noticed mist of the sediment had fell off into the napkin which gave me an idea. I soaked the filter in sea foam (lol) and it cleaned up brand new. U replaced it then changed the filter/ seperator. I used the clear plastic bag method and there was black crud in the bag when examined it.

I then took a new filter / seperator and filled it with half gas and half sea foam.

Started her up and let her run at high idle as it smoked like hell. After . Got some of the mixture into the carb I shut it down and im letting it sit until morning. Hopefully tomorrow i can give it a good run. Hope this solves my problem.

Thanks all for the tips and wish me luck!

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well after changing the little inline filter that was 99% blocked and replacing the fuel/water separator and filling it with half gas half sea foam running it for 10 minutes at the dock then letting it "soak" overnight worked.... I took the boat out today and logged about 20 miles. I was able to run wide open throttle with no bogging or hesitation, also I took the advice not to run wide open from spot to spot. I decided 3500 rpm is a nice cruising speed and easier on the hull and the engine.

Thanks for everyone that helped !!!!! Image (1).jpg