305/350 efi compatibility questions

Littlejohn85

Recruit
Evidently I did not winterize my boat- and now I have a cracked block. Current motor is a 1997 mercruiser 5.0 efi. The price for a long block is basically the same for either a 5.0 or 5.7, so I might as well upgrade for some extra ponies. I'm sure everything is comparable with the exception of the fuel injection PCM. Are they different for 5.0 & 5.7? If so, can the pcm/ecu be re flashed? Any suggestions for a company that can handle a marine re flash?

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to iboats:)

Some engine models use the same ECM for both models and some don't. Do you by chance have the original engine serial number in order to take a look without guessing?

If it's needed then OBD Diagnostics should be able to re-flash your old ECM http://mefiburn.com/

Littlejohn85

Recruit
I don't have the serial # off hand, and didn't see a sticker having one. Is it stamped on engine somewhere?
OBD diagnostics has different several part #s for 305/350 applications.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
You're correct, looking around your engine model years, there seems to be a difference in ECM's. Try giving the company above a call to see if they can help.

To find the Mercruiser serial number, look either on top of the engine stickers or just above the engine starter like these,

th

Serialnumber_Location.jpg