4.3 running issue

Bswiernik

Cadet
I'm having an issue with my boat. I ran it all day yesterday, no issues. Got gas today, and seems to have a fuel issue. It's a 4.3 carb, thunderbolt ignition 1997. It will not idle. Checked for power at the fuel pump, it gets power when cranking, but I think it may be losing power at idle. Is this how the system works? I'm thinking the oil switch that powers the fuel pump may be bad. But I'm not sure. thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
does the fuel pump have power or can you hear in working. FOR TESTING short the 2 wires together from the pressure switch to power the pump

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That's the point, short the wires and take the boat on the water and test it.If the problem goes away ,you need a new pressure switch and to help protect the new switch wire in a relay to power the pump

Bswiernik

Cadet
Ok. Do these switches go bad a lot because of the current on them? Is that why I should wire a relay?

Bswiernik

Cadet
After a little testing I decided the carb should be swapped out. Picked up a Reman from a great shop and threw it on today. Seems to cure my issues. Put 25 miles on the boat today. Boat still runs a little rough, but perhaps that's just me being used to automotive applications. I'm not sure. Thanks again.