How do I find parts for my 470 Mercruiser?

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello guys. I need some parts for my 470 engine. I have the serial number from the motor. I boats and other sites say my serial number is invalid. Serial number is 4772759. From a 1977 boat.

How do I go about finding individual part numbers, or finding a schematic that has all my engines part numbers?

I need points, oil pressure sending unit, plugs, coil, cap and rotor etc. And I'm sure I'll need a lot more parts as I continue.

Thanks

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool, so Napa has points and plugs, and thanks for the filter number. I need a temp sending unit to and oil, I'll ask them at Napa also.

What does NLA mean. When I go to local shop they seem to use my serial number ok, . But they don't stock most parts I need.
It's weird Online my number is always invalid when I try it.

What site do you like to order from? Or where can I find a parts schematic with part numbers?

Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
NLA is "no longer available" from the manufacturer like engine covers and castings. Your local Mercruiser dealer will have tune up parts, and places like West Marine will have the tune up stuff like carb rebuild kits. The engine is based on a Ford 460, so many internal engine parts are available from your local Ford dealer.

Fun Times

Staff member
I need a temp sending unit to and oil.
This should work for you, https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Sho...062&bnbr=18&bdesc=Oil+&+Water+Sensor(INBOARD)

When I go to local shop they seem to use my serial number ok, . But they don't stock most parts I need.
It's weird Online my number is always invalid when I try it.
Typically the computer look up sites don't recognize any serial numbers older than 1980 so you have to find your serial number and engine year a different way.

What site do you like to order from? Or where can I find a parts schematic with part numbers?
stonyloam has already found your engine model parts catalog for you in the following link, https://www.mercruiserparts.com/sel...r=470++++(2+BBL.)++MERCURY+224+I/L4+1976-1979

You can either order from there or find the part numbers you need and search them either here at iboats, EBay or online.

I have the 3.7. It's the later version (1989) of your engine. They have changes some things on these engines over the years, 2 or 4 barrl carb and intake manifold, 3 or 4" heat exchanger, and the exhaust manifolds were cast iron on the older ones... the later ones ran aluminum.

I get parts from here, Mercruiser dealer, ebasicpower.com (they have a lot of 470 stuff), NAPA,

I also use the Fram PH-5. There are many oil filters that cross and work but that is what I am using.

The tune up stuff is easy to get GM inline 4-cylinder tune up kit. Sierra # 18-5268

http://www.iboats.com/Universal-Tune...view_id.270060

http://www.***************/buy/sierra...8-5268--216916

I am using the Mallory Marine Plug wires.. they are 8-mm thick and a nice set. The number is MAL 9-28014

Make sure you have a good working temperature gauge and don't let the impeller in the outdrive get too old. If these babies overheat they almost always blow the head gasket.

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great info guys. I ordered the tune up kit.

The temp sensor plug (for gauge) is spendy, is there a auto version that would work, being that its 3/8" standard pipe thread.
Local auto store had a similar one, but it was 2 pronged.

I don't see an oil pressure sending unit on the parts list. So for this probably doesn't matter I can replace with an auto type?

Thanks again

You want to match the gauge senders with the gauge themselves... They don't care what engine they are in, but the gauge has to take the readings correctly from the sender. So I would try and match the sender to the gauges you have, if you have a name on the gauge either front or back that's where I'd start...

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Eric. Talked to a guy at Car Quest about this..... I also just found out he has a big Bayliner with dual 470s. I told him he probably shouldn't have told me that :laugh: .

He said it didn't matter as long as you get one made for a gauge and not a dummy light. Doesn't mean he's right though. As I have heard what you said from others as well. Guy from Napa said same thing to me.

I bought oil sender from Car Quest for 20 bucks, the Mercruiser unit was over 60. So I figured I'd try it.

I Installed it with a new gauge, and its working good. Could be I got lucky though with compatibility?

What seems weird to me though, (matching brands) wouldn't gauges come with sending units? I couldn't find the same brand sender as my oil pressure gauge. I didn't look for the matching temp sender.

On my temp gauge I'm not sure yet if they work together yet. I haven't run the engine long enough, I need my impeller installed first to see if they work together. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Maybe I wont be so lucky on this one

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Two things: on a 470 the gauge is very important, and temperature gauges are not very accurate. Mine is off by about 20 degrees, so the important thing is that when you get your engine up to operating temperature you mark the face of the gauge, and if the temperature ever starts to creep up above that mark, find out why. A new impeller every other year is a must if you want to prevent a overheat.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
No I did not. What I have done is after changing the impeller and making sure the antifreeze was OK, just boat on the water (nice slow cruise) and watched the gauge until it stabilized. Then ran the boat on plane, then WOT for a while. On mine the temperature on the gauge came up (to about 140 on mine) and stays rock steady at all throttle settings. That is what you want. Mark your gauge there. If you ever see your temperature start to creep up above your mark, start looking for the cause. One other thing you should do, is a compression check once a year. End of the season is a good time. With a 470 the head gasket could go even without overheating (mine did), just the nature of the beast. Good luck.

littlebuzz

Cadet
Another good online resource is RockAuto.
Just click on their "Marine" tab and then run it down by make, year, and engine.
They don't stock everything, but what they do have are usually at the lowest prices you'll find anywhere.