Shift Slide / Fork Screw Problem

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Crew,

I'm doing a bellow's job and the "Retainer Screw" on the Shift Slide / Fork is so corroded I was not able to get a tiny tool in the slit and have tried drilling this "Retainer Screw," out and I have it drilled down about 3/4 down.

Has anyone here dealt with a severely corroded "Retainer Screw," on the Shift Slide Lever that holds the shift cable inside the outdrive?

If yes, how did you get it off?

I can't get my bell housing off until I get this junky retainer screw out.

Attachments

• photo221471.jpg
    photo221471.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Were it me, I would just replace the lower shift cable with an OEM one. If you are doing the bellows, it is probably time for a new one anyway, especially if it is corroded. The new kit will include a new shift slide.

Last edited:

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do I get the shift slide / fork screw out? Do I need to pull the inner cable out 1st?

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd replace it and to remove it I'd get an angle grinder with a metal grinding wheel and cut till I was past the screw. Hold it with some vise grips or chanel locks, inner wires aren't too spend neither is that linkage, but the lower shift cable is 150 ish more at a dealer for oem.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You can remove the slide by disconnecting the cable at the engine. Then pull the slide and cable out together.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You can remove the slide by disconnecting the cable at the engine. Then pull the slide and cable out together.
This is the only way you remove the cable. Just curious, why did you remove the safety wire and try to unscrew that little hex screw?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Are you using the mercruiser manual? You should be. If not, they are free on this site. Go to the top of this forum section where it says "for adults only". then click on misc. mercruiser info. scroll down to find the manuals. If yours is an Alpha 1 Gen 2 you will need Mercruiser manual 14. It will give you step by step with drawings for many repairs including a bellows job. I wouldn't do the bellows without it. Good luck. let us know how you make out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I can't get my bell housing off until I get this junky retainer screw out.

lock screw has nothing to do with removing the housing.Best thing to do is drill a hole in the arm and break the arm off the shaft, then you can remove whats left of the pin.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I think he is talking about the screw in the shift slide, not the shift lever. Should be able to disconnect the cable at the other end and pull the cable and slide out of the cable housing, right?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the only way you remove the cable. Just curious, why did you remove the safety wire and try to unscrew that little hex screw?

This is my 1st time doing a Bellow's Job so I honestly didn't know / realize that the cable can removed from the engine compartment.

I'm going off 100% "You Tube" Video's and of course nobody ever explains how they got the Shift Cable Slide / Fork off but only show you the video with it off and since the screw is a retainer I thought the screw had to come out in order for the Shift Cable Slide / Fork to come off.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think he is talking about the screw in the shift slide, not the shift lever. Should be able to disconnect the cable at the other end and pull the cable and slide out of the cable housing, right?

Yes, I'm talking about the "Shift Slide / Fork" with the screw retainer at the end of if when you have the outdrive off and doing a Bellow's Job.

So the Shift Cable Can be disconnected from the engine compartment and pulled out that way? Just want to confirm. Seem's to make sense to me!

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank You :) That is the advice I was looking for. So I take it you have done this yourself due to the same issue I'm having with the retainer screw on the Shift Slide / Fork??

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I'm talking about the Shift Cable Slide / Fork that is part of the "Bell Housing" and sticks out the closet towards you after the outdrive has been removed.

Can someone confirm that if I take off my connector for my "Shift Cable" on the engine itself and the calbe "Inner" is free then I should be able to pull the "Shift Cable Slide / Fork" off along with the Shift Cable??

Guy's I really appreciate your help here as this junky retainer screw has wasted no joke 1 1/2 day's of repair time & I want to be on the water next weekend.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you using the mercruiser manual? You should be. If not, they are free on this site. Go to the top of this forum section where it says "for adults only". then click on misc. mercruiser info. scroll down to find the manuals. If yours is an Alpha 1 Gen 2 you will need Mercruiser manual 14. It will give you step by step with drawings for many repairs including a bellows job. I wouldn't do the bellows without it. Good luck. let us know how you make out.

No I'm not using a manual. 100% you tube and my own skills doing this my 1st time. I have an Alpha 1 Gen 2 year 1995 can you please post the manual or link to access it??

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Were it me, I would just replace the lower shift cable with an OEM one. If you are doing the bellows, it is probably time for a new one anyway, especially if it is corroded. The new kit will include a new shift slide.

Thank you on the shift cable recommendation. 1st time doing a bellow's job & same for the "Shift Cable" so yeah it's better to do it all while I have it off.. Just suck's that I have to order the part which I would have done ahead of time but maybe next time I should put a post up asking for the recommended step's or item's that should be replaced when doing a bellow's job.

I'm replacing the following:

1. All 3 bellow's
2. Shift Slide / Fork with retainer screw
3. Water line
4. Oil "Reservoir" Line
5. Brass fitting for the Oil Reservoir Line
6. All the clamps
7. Using Bellow's Glue & Merc Perfect Seal Glue
8. Shift Cable or Inner line itself??

Anything I missed crew?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Shift Slide / Fork with the retainer screw is still connected to the shift cable. Should I disconnect the shift cable from above / engine and leave the original Shift Slide / Fork on??

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally, I'd buy the Quicksilver one (OEM Mercruiser). Yes the lower cable on the shift bracket on the engine is the lower shift cable.

There are 2 OEM kits available.... 865436A02 and 865436A03

Here are the differences in the two kits:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...gines-outdrives/313943-865436a02-vs-865436a03

To remove the cable end at the engine.... There are 2- Frankenstein looking screws on the black plastic end. They bite into the metal "core". They have to be removed and the plastic end pulled off the core wire. then remove the jam nut and the threaded shaft. Then you can pull your slider end which is attached to the core at the outdrive end.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Is this correct cable?

Yes that is the one. Take the bolt off that plastic end piece. Now on the end of the plastic end piece the are two tiny screws that bite onto the end of the actual cable. Remove them and be careful not to drop them. Now go to the back of the boat and pull on the slide and the cable will come out.