1996 merc 5,7 shift interrupter problem

Jim08087

Recruit
Hi all. Put boat in last weekend. Ran fine for an hour out and hour back. As I was pulling up the the dock it stalls. Try to start, no spark. Test some things and decide ignition module is bad. Marina had a used one, put it in and fires right up. Great? Go to take it for a test run run and it shifts hard, more tests, interrupter switch not working, ok, test switch and and it checks out fine. Now baffled, I find that if I run a jumper from the wht wire on the switch to the neg. on coil it works like a charm. So my thought is a have a bad wire in the harness, I'll just run a new wire from switch to coil. It's a thunderbolt IV ignition. My question is this ok to do? Never had a problem (electrical) with the boat in 6 years and now two problems in one day has me worried. Am I missing something bigger here? A bad ground? Ign module had water in it so that makes sense, but interrupter going bad right after seems odd. As far as i know they are separate systems. I did have arcing from center coil wire to neg. terminal after new module was put in but just moved the 2 wires on neg side a little farther away and cleaned some grease off center coil wire and arcing stopped. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all. Put boat in last weekend. Ran fine for an hour out and hour back. As I was pulling up the the dock it stalls. Try to start, no spark. Test some things and decide ignition module is bad. Marina had a used one, put it in and fires right up. Great? Go to take it for a test run run and it shifts hard, more tests, interrupter switch not working, ok, test switch and and it checks out fine. Now baffled, I find that if I run a jumper from the wht wire on the switch to the neg. on coil it works like a charm. So my thought is a have a bad wire in the harness, I'll just run a new wire from switch to coil. It's a thunderbolt IV ignition. My question is this ok to do? Never had a problem (electrical) with the boat in 6 years and now two problems in one day has me worried. Am I missing something bigger here? A bad ground? Ign module had water in it so that makes sense, but interrupter going bad right after seems odd. As far as i know they are separate systems. I did have arcing from center coil wire to neg. terminal after new module was put in but just moved the 2 wires on neg side a little farther away and cleaned some grease off center coil wire and arcing stopped. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

:welcome: to iboats

If your white wire is actually a White with Green tracer then your fine.

You sure your shift cable is adjusted correctly or maybe need to replace it?

Jim08087

Recruit
thanks for the help. No I didn't touch any cable adjustment. And yes you right dodge wht/grn. I'll give it a a try tomorrow.

Jim08087

Recruit
Just to update, ran a new wire from wth/grn wire off switch to neg coil and switch it working. Will try test run this weekend. Again thx for the help.