Lower shift cable needs replacement??? DIY or take it in?

drun_trucker

Seaman
I just got my first boat two weeks ago and she has been a bit problematic. Granted Im new to boating but by no means new to wrenching. After taking possession of the vessel I had to get it running which was a carb rebuild and fuel pump install.

Well the previous owner took cheap way out from the cable replacement and added a second kiss switch at the helm control. After adjusting the cables at the shift plate I realized why it shifts so hard...It took everything I had to push the drive cable in and out by hand thus leading me to believe its due for a lower cable.

So here is my question, Im good mechanically but have never torn into a boat before. I know the cable needs to be replaced, is it something that I can tackle or do I pay TOP marine service tech money for somebody else to do it?

Or are there certain steps I can do or take to lower my overall cost at the shop?

1986 Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One outdrive

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
DIY! Probably should do the whole thing: pull the outdrive and check the gimbal bearing and u-joints, rebuild the impeller with a new OEM impeller and housing. If your lower shift cable is that shot, probably should replace the driveshaft bellows too. Use all OEM parts. If your exhaust bellows is in decent shape you can reuse it and save a little. Check that your trim limit switch is working, the time to replace it and the trim gauge is when you do the bellows. While you are at it you should probably replace the upper shift shaft seal with the newer double seal setup. One last thing, when you separate the gear housing from the driveshaft housing, there is a seal at the top of the vertical driveshaft, make sure it is in good shape, they commonly fail. I have done all of that on mine, so if I can do it so can you.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you know how to turn wrenches, have the merc manual and some common sense, its a DIY job.Plus if you do get stuck , we`re always here to help

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DIY man.. gotta do the same thing on mine and I am not mechanic. got some great guys on here to help and there are a ton of videos out there on how to do it as well as a few ways to save a buck if you need special tools.

drun_trucker

Seaman
Solo project it is! I think I will start digging in today. Thanks guys, keep an eye out on the thread as Im sure more questions are to follow.

drun_trucker

Seaman
So Im going to need a tool to get the outerjacket loosened up from the bellows. Somebody willing to loan me one?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
You will only NEED an Mercruiser alignment tool (e-bay) and a tool to remove the bellhousing hinge pins.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You should have a set of basic tools to do any job with the boat, if not, purchase. So what are you trying to remove. The u-joint shaft bellows? Doesn't it attach to the gimbal with a hose clamp that can be loosened with a screw driver or hex wrench? Or are you requesting for some kind of special tool? To my knowledge the only kind of special tool when replacing the bellows is the exhaust bellows extender tool.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Get a flexible 1/4" drive socket extension to get to those hose clamps. A must have.

drun_trucker

Seaman
Cable was a breeze really, especially since I was working on an inline four with no y-pipe to navigate.

However, no I have another issue. I have watched the vids and I get how to make the adjustments, I just need some real world experience stuff on how to get the reverse gear to engage...

Throw me some ideas or experiences. PLEASE.

drun_trucker

Seaman
Oh yeah...and for some reason the shift plate isn't moving. Any ideas as to why that is. With the shift plate not moving its not working the cut-out switch. Not sure what the deal is.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
WIth the lower cable disconnected from the assembly can you manually pull on the cable with your fingers and have it lock into reverse?

Oh yeah...and for some reason the shift plate isn't moving. Any ideas as to why that is. With the shift plate not moving its not working the cut-out switch. Not sure what the deal is.

The shift cut off switch should only work when your in water and shifting from gear back into neutral. It shouldn't move on land or going into gear from neutral.

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After making sure the basic adjustments are correct, if you're not getting a solid lock into reverse, that is what the slot on the shirt arm is for. When in reverse notice that just slightly moving the cable attach point up the slot will "pull" the lower shift cable further into reverse. This does not affect the forward gear adjustment.

JK