my boat will not start please help

josh1hanson

Recruit
I have a 1999 chaparral 1930ss with a 305 carberated mercruiser. Got it out of storage and am trying to get it ready to sell and am having trouble getting it running. I put a brand new battery in it, and this is what is happening. When I have the key in then start position the motor turns over great and starts to take of so I turn the key to the run position and as soon as I do that it dies. Now I got a little rammy and held the starter for awhile and I'm able to actually rev it up while trying to start it. But like I said as soon as it goes to run it quits. Things I have check, i have jumped the oil pressure switch and same thing happens, and I made sure also the saftey switch is fully engaged. I am stumped I don't feel its a fuel issue but I'm open to any advice. Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.........The keyswitch is a good place to start,....

It's puttin' power out the Starter terminal, but is it puttin' out power to the Ignition terminal,..??

josh1hanson

Recruit
Thats what I'm wondering how to check.. My thoughts are a faulty ignition switch but when I go to the run position my gauges still work, so I'm just wondering what I can check over, I have a multi meter and I understand electricity but I don't know what all the relays in the ignition sequence do.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
go to the coil and find the purple wire, it should have 12v with the key in the "run " position

josh1hanson

Recruit
Good news, I did not have 12v at the coil..I traced the wire for contunity from the ignition switch all the way back to the motor and found the main harness plug that I never noticed before was loosely plugged in. Plugged it all the way in and bam have a running boat..but after 5 mins of running I noticed a wierd bearing noise developed hopefully its norhing. Also I just changed the impeller, how can u tell If the water is flowing through the motor as it should?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Where is the weird bearing noise coming from? You may need to use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the sound you're hearing.