Transom assembly sealant Yes/No

alldodge

Staff member
Reading through the Merc installation manual it talks about using a locally found sealant around the inside edges to help prevent water absobtion. It does not say to use anything between the transom gasket and the outer hull. When I removed the transom assembly I didn't see anything which resembled sealant but just wondered if anyone has had any experience in this area?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Which area?

The inside transom core looking thru the keyhole?
or

Sealing the transom gasket to the extrior hull.

Not an I/O owner so I dont know 1st hand about the exterior gasket, but i have seen people here adding sealant along the inner face of the transom casting as an extra barrier to prevent water getting past the transom housing, and others following the manufacturer's directions using just the gasket, no extra sealant.

As for the inside edges of the keyhole, yep, seal it up as best you can. I'd use epoxy, at least a couple coats. I dont think I've seen anyone skip that step here.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sealing the transom gasket to the exterior hull. Hull is flat and clean and if Formula used something the first time I saw no signs when I removed the old one. Just wondering. I plan to use epoxy paint on the key hole and all bolt holes.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Use a new transom gasket, clean, 'n dry,.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I put the smallest bead between the gasket and the outer housing edge. , nothing on the gasket itself.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Bellows adhesive to make it stick to the assembly

He's referring to using sealant along with the gasket for the gimbal housing on the outside of the transom. I only used the gasket with no sealant. To keep the gasket in place for the install small drops of bellows adhesive would work good as would super glue.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm installing a new transom assembly direct from Merc. Figure I'll just do as Bondo mentioned. It was they way I found the old one when it was removed
Thanks to all