Mercruiser 140

Subby357

Recruit
Took out of storage. Fired right up. Then messed with the throttle linkage a bit. Engine died. Now it won't start, and has no spark at all.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Yer motor has been in continuous production since the '60s,......

'bout what Vintage is yer's,..??

My 1st guess is the points in the distributor are burnt up,.....

Subby357

Recruit
Hey there. I took cap off cleaned and adj points to .19-.20. Now it fires right up, but only runs for a few min then just dies and will not start for a bit.
It's a 87 I do believe.
I'm thinking about doing away with the points. Seems to fire right up every time I clean and adjust points. I've read that it may be a bad coil after it gets hot??? Tested ok though.

drun_trucker

Seaman
So two things I can suggest from previous experience...1) Make certain that you cap and wires are correctly wired for the firing order. 2) Make for very very certain that your carb is clean.

Once you fixed the spark issue and it fires but wont stay running, sounds to me like a lack of fuel in the form of plugged jets.

Subby357

Recruit
Thanks for the help. I finally decided to tear the carb apart and found that the jets where all clogged. Cleaned them up and put back together, running pretty good now. Have a carb rebuild kit on the way.