alpha gen 2 not locking into gear

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It seems that in forward gear, the prop locks counterclockwise, but takes a fair amount of force to get it to ratchet clockwise (not just a light, one finger push). Is this how it should be or a problem?

Definitely some resistance ,not 1 finger . what you describe is perfectly normal. In fwd, it locks CCW and ratchets CW. In reverse it locks CW and ratchets CCW.
who`s manual are you using?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If the control handle moves freely back and forth, and if when you turn the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise it is pointed straight ahead and locks into forward (prop locks counterclockwise) and you can engage forward, but not reverse then the only thing that can be wrong is that the roller on the upper shift shaft is not captured by the shift slide. The shift slide is in front of the roller and will push it into F but not pull it back into R. At least that is all I can think of.

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK- so apparently this is all down to operator error. I've never worked with any of this stuff before, and I just didn't understand how it should feel. Today I fired the engine up and was able to shift in and out of forward and reverse no problem. I did notice that it made a little bit of a "clanking" sound when it first shifted into reverse- is this normal? Or does that mean I should adjust the shift cable some more?

Thanks for all the help :)

​So much to learn!