1994 3.0L Mercruiser with a stripped oil pan drain plug?

brupska

Cadet
Hello all, I have a 1994 Rinker with a 3.0L engine. I have a problem with a stripped oil pan drain plug. I've tried drilling out and threading a 14mm x1.25 spark plug insert and installing a new 14mmx 1.25 oil drain plug. Still having a problem with it leaking a little. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
They make a self-tapping oil drain plug, might try a good auto parts store . comes with a sealing washer and a 3/8ths plug. But theres really no good reason to even pull the pan drain. most pump completely out from the dip stick.
motor in or out of the boat? In have a pan for it.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hello all, I have a 1994 Rinker with a 3.0L engine. I have a problem with a stripped oil pan drain plug. I've tried drilling out and threading a 14mm x1.25 spark plug insert and installing a new 14mmx 1.25 oil drain plug. Still having a problem with it leaking a little. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

:welcome: to iboats

Guess since you tried the replacement plug you have two options IMO. Either pull the engine, remove the pan then replace or have it repaired.

The other option would be to remove the plug, insert and let the oil drain out with the nose on the boat up some what. Leave it there for a day or so draining. Now lower the nose of the boat and clean the area real good, use acetone and make sure the area is clean. Mix up some JB weld and install the insert and drain plug with JB weld over everything. Let it dry for another 24 hours. This should fix the leak.

If you do it this way, you need to pick up a vacuum pump to suck the oil out the dip stick from then on. This is the way a boat should be changed.

You could also pick up a drain hose fitting and hose and install it with JB weld instead of the plug. If this is done and you have room you can put the hose end out the boats plug on the stern, but if it won't fit you will still need to suck out the oil with a pump
imd042v.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... AllDodge has yer answers,..... I like the epoxy, 'n the drain line,....

That'll give ya pumpin' options,....

brupska

Cadet
Thank you very much, I have a rubber stopper plug with a wing nut for a quick fix for this weekend. Then I will look into pulling the pan or jb weld options. Thank you again for the ideas!!!

brupska

Cadet
Well the Dorman Rubber drain plug didn't work. So I have drained all the oil and going to wait 24 hours till I jb weld a drain hose in.

brupska

Cadet
Oil leak update!! The leak is fixed with JB weld and a piggyback bolt drainplug. I wanted to thank you all for the help. Now I can get my boat out on the water again!!!!!