Another U-Joint question Alpha 1 Gen 2

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Alph 1 Gen 2 Serial # OM456399
I've read a lot here about people saving money by using automotive u-joints. Everyone talks about the retaining clips being inboard of the yoke, however mine are on the outside. Is there any difference in these parts? Or do I use the same u-joint and it just secures to the yoke differently?
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• photo221283.jpg
    photo221283.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Alph 1 Gen 2 Serial # OM456399
I've read a lot here about people saving money by using automotive u-joints. Everyone talks about the retaining clips being inboard of the yoke, however mine are on the outside. Is there any difference in these parts? Or do I use the same u-joint and it just secures to the yoke differently?
Thanks,
Joe

There were two types of joints used within your serial number range, yours used the e-clips on the outside part number 865496A02
710-865496A02.jpg

Other part number is 805536A2 which used the traditional internal clips

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I believe somewhere in Don'S Adults Only section is a cross reference for all the various bearin' manufacturers,....
by part number,...

You need either the inboard clips or the outboard clips,.....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,..... I believe somewhere in Don'S Adults Only section is a cross reference for all the various bearin' manufacturers,....
by part number,...

You need either the inboard clips or the outboard clips,.....

Yes, I need the ones with the outboard clips, but I don't see any reference to those type in the "adults only" section. Only the inside clips are mentioned. Are they the same u-joints and you just use different clips?

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
There were two types of joints used within your serial number range, yours used the e-clips on the outside part number 865496A02

Other part number is 805536A2 which used the traditional internal clips

Yes, those are the ones I need. The outboard position type with the snap ring. Thanks for the part number. Now I wonder if there is an automotive cross reference on that so I can save some cash?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, I need the ones with the outboard clips, but I don't see any reference to those type in the "adults only" section. Only the inside clips are mentioned. Are they the same u-joints and you just use different clips?

Need to look a little further, In the link below look at DonS post 6 link (From adults only)
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...umber?t=238091

And no they are not the same

alldodge

Staff member
Let us know how it goes, I'm finding $150 and up for Merc/Quicksilver

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Go to your local driveline shop,I got mine for 18 bucks apiece

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
My outdrive is alpha one gen 2 serial number is OL 700000 + and I used precision u joints the part number is 315G... got them at the local auto parts store for 13 bucks each...hope this helps

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My outdrive is alpha one gen 2 serial number is OL 700000 + and I used precision u joints the part number is 315G... got them at the local auto parts store for 13 bucks each...hope this helps
Did you have the type with the snap ring clips on the outside?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think they were outside clips but cant remember for sure but they were same as the old ones...I still have the old u joints and the precision315G boxes so I'll check as soon as I get home from work and post back..

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine are inside clips ...sorry for some reason I thought they're outside but I was wrong