Should I adjust my shift cable?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
2000 bayliner w/ 5.0 mercruiser alpha gen two...when shifting into reverse it goes in quick and clean with no grinding but when shifting into forward I have to move the shift lever several inches before it fully engages and I have to do it quickly or it grinds ...I can shift into forward fine with almost no grinding but if someone else drives that isn't used to it ,it grinds more than I like...should i try adjusting the cables or is this normal? Thanks in advance

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
So as long as its fully engaging before the RPM's go up its fine?

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the grinding happening in or out of the water? Mine grinds a little bit out of the water but once I am in the water it just makes a solid thunk going into gear.
As far as adjustments, it can never hurt to check freedom of movement and proper adjustment.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Both in and out of the water...I've never adjusted shift cables so didn't know if it's worth messing with or am I trying to " fix something thats not broke"

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You cant hurt anything by adjusting the lower cable. When you shift it should be a swift deliberate motion,you may not have a problem at all.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks guys and like I said if I shift into forward with a swift deliberate motion it doesn't grind but I have to move it several inches unlike reverse which is right there , as soon as I pull it back and engages with a solid thunk...and I'd like to get forward to engage like that if i can...I've never adjusted shift cables , just follow service manual instructions ? Or am i trying to fix something that I shouldn't worry about?

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
And yes it does shift into forward gear before engine starts to rev

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its definitely easy to adjust. Having one other person helps. There are a bunch of videos on youtube that do a good job explaining it.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the great advice guys , I'll give it a shot this weekend

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just want to report back on the cables..After watching a you tube video, I took the lower shift cable off and checked excessive play (5/16") then made sure the center of the brass barrel was six inches from the center of the plastic end ... then I noticed the end of it was close to the top of the slot in the arm so I slid it down closer to the bottom of the slot, now my I have both good forward and reverse...thanks again you guys are great