Power Trim Wiring Issues

Alumarine

Captain
Have a bit of a wiring problem with my Power Trim
It's been "modified" quite a bit.
It currently has a single solenoid system with BOTH a dash trim/trailer switch as well as a trim switch in the throttle.
The trim limit has been bypassed somewhere.
I only used it twice after picking it up late last fall.
At that time going down was slow and the green wire on the DASH switch would get warm.
If I used the down switch on the hand control it was even slower. I installed a thicker wire from the dash switch to the control and that sped things up.

Here's some questions.
Do I need a 2 solenoid system if I want to use the trim in the hand control? I would like to use that.
If not, then I will rewire my current system properly. You'll notice in the picture the Circuit Breaker isn't being used for some reason.
I believe it's the pre-BIA colour scheme
thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
on a single solenoid system the green wire powers the motor to go down. usually the system works just fine until corrosion and old age get in the way.
the motor may be drawing too much current for the 16Ga to handle.adding a solenoid for the down circuit is not hard to do.

Alumarine

Captain
Thank you Dr.. I'll go with the 2 solenoid system.
Does down take more current than up?

I found this in my parts bin. Maybe I can use it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
solenoids20from20merc20outboard20maybe_zpswmthi0wv.jpg

Alumarine

Captain
Thanks again. I'm going to remove the snow from my boat top and bring the pump into the basement to rewire.

Alumarine

Captain
I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't the green motor wire go to the far left large solenoid terminal?
Otherwise wouldn't the green motor wire be energized always?

Alumarine

Captain
on a single solenoid system the green wire powers the motor to go down. usually the system works just fine until corrosion and old age get in the way.
the motor may be drawing too much current for the 16Ga to handle.adding a solenoid for the down circuit is not hard to do.

Thank you, adding the 2cnd solenoid did the trick.
The drive now goes down a lot quicker..