Engine won't start because it thinks it's in gear

dmillerss

Cadet
When starting my Mercruiser Alpa 1 I usually push the throttle forward before cranking the engine to give it extra gas. However more and more when I do that the engine won't turn over; I assume because it thinks it's in gear. It used to be that I could jiggle the throttle/shifter back and forth and eventually it would work; now I can't get it to turn over at all. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue or work around it? Thx DMiller

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
tyou have to use the "throttle only" feature to start the motor

dmillerss

Cadet
Thank you very much for the reply ... I don't know what the "throttle only" feature is?

tkarvelis

Cadet
Push the button in below the handle on the throttle / shifter. There should be a round button that disconnects the drive from the throttle

alldodge

Staff member
When starting my Mercruiser Alpa 1 I usually push the throttle forward before cranking the engine to give it extra gas. However more and more when I do that the engine won't turn over; I assume because it thinks it's in gear. It used to be that I could jiggle the throttle/shifter back and forth and eventually it would work; now I can't get it to turn over at all. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue or work around it? Thx DMiller

Start by making sure your lanyard stop switch is on the RUN position (if you have one). Turn the key ON, then turn key to start and hold it there. now start moving the throttle control back and forth until you hear the starter engage.

Once engaged, stop. Turn key to off and push center button on throttle control in and then move it forward to give it some gas.

dmillerss

Cadet
I've been trying to closely follow these steps you suggested but still have this problem .... it takes five or so minutes of fooling around with the throttle before I can get the starter to engage. (BTW on this boat I not only have to push the throttle only button but also the button on the throttle as if I were shifting between forward and reverse to increase the idle speed). Can anyone point to a likely cause of this issue, or a workaround? Thx DMiller

Start by making sure your lanyard stop switch is on the RUN position (if you have one). Turn the key ON, then turn key to start and hold it there. now start moving the throttle control back and forth until you hear the starter engage.

Once engaged, stop. Turn key to off and push center button on throttle control in and then move it forward to give it some gas.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
usually the throttle only setting disables the shift control.can you post a pic of the controller. does the control box have a silver cover on it and uses a round button?
If yes you may need a new control box because rebuilding kits are no longer available.#26
UntitledMS_zpsrucwqihv.jpg

Last edited:

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a similar problem and I actually think I can help someone here instead of begging others to help me lol..... maybe I will get some good karma to help with my current problem for trying to help you....

My boat was doing pretty much what you describe. I checked the plugs , cleaned the carbs , treated the gas , changed filters etc....

I got to lake to dock and boat wouldnt start again, a guy from marina jumps in and opens hatch to engine , on top where the throttle cable connects to the engine there is some sort of nylon nut at the end of the cable , he flicked it a few times and said "i knew it that was killing your ignition bc it thinks its in gear" he turned the key and it started right up

After he did that i never had the problem again

I guess the nylon nut was hanging up , so its worth a try.

I hope you get it solved , good luck

dmillerss

Cadet
No Title

I've been following all the suggestions, and am attaching a photo; the advice is much appreciated. Still no joy though .... if I shut off the engine and don't touch the throttle/shift control the next day it just won't start ... five or more minutes of playing around, moving the throttle forward etc. and it eventually turns over. After that I avoid turning it off as much as possible (for obvious reasons), but don't have nearly the issue when the engine is warm. I can't be sure if the problem is in the throttle/shift control or something in the engine compartment. There are a couple of wires with ends on them that are connected to anything, but I don't think that's the issue.

Attachments

• photo221637.jpg
    photo221637.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....
Behind yer controller, comin' out of it, up-under the gunnel, are a pair of yellow wires,... might be yellow/ red,.....

For Testin' / Diagnosis purposes, Jumper those 2 wires together,.....

The motor should turn over in-gear, outa gear, 'n in reverse, be Careful,....

If it still gives issues, ya got corroded wirin' somewhere, probably at/ near the motor/ battery,....

Last edited: