Do I have to re-adjust the upper shift cable? (after sterndrive removal/installation)

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to disconnect the lower shift cable in order to remove/service/install the sterndrive. To reinstall, I adjusted it to 6 inch as specified, and connected back. I did not touch the upper shift cable. Is it fine to leave it just as it was, or I am supposed to readjust the upper cable too, after installing the lower cable?

I tried to shift (running the engine on muffs). Both forward and reverse are engaged, although there is a bit of a grinding sound at the time of the shifting process. Not a lot, hard to compare it with what it was before, simply because I don?t think I ever tried to shift out of water. This is something I can check soon by taking the boat to the lake. At this point I have an impression that there was less of grinding noise before I removed/installed the outdrive.

Another relevant question I have is this: Is there any fine tuning done on the shift cable (in order to improve engagement and reduce grinding), or the only adjustment done is that 6 inch measurement, and that is it. If I feel that there is too much grinding, should I try shortening or lengthening the distance (to the brass barrel)? Or should I do something entirely different?

My boat numbers are: 1993 4.3LX/V6 serial number 0F0244564; the transom is 0F058634; the drive is 0D886515 (Alpha One Gen II).

One more thing. One video I saw states that for the boats before 1996 the measurement is shorter than 6 inch. Is that right? My outdrive is Alpha One Gen II, it is 1993, and the manual says 6 inch.

Thanks!

thumpar

Admiral
You don't adjust the upper cable. If it is grinding you are not shifting fast enough. It should be a swift firm motion into gear. The grinding is the clutch dogs not engaging.

mr 88

Commander
The out drive will make a lot more noise shifting when out of the water. First off there is no load on is as the water provides to slow down the prop/gears and secondly it deadnings the sound. That grinding sound is normal when on muffs.