Takes a few times to start - Bad battery, solenoid, start motor or ignition switch??

Mini hog

Cadet
Last autumn I begun to get problems to start the engine (Mercruiser 5.7 LX 2000) When I turn the ignition key nothing happens. No click sound, nothing. When I repeat this 3-4 times the engine starts without problem. When the engine been idling for 30 seconds or so it will always start on first attempt.
So its a problem when the engine hasn't been used for a while.

I will replace the battery tomorrow. Whats next to check if that doesn't solve the problem?

alldodge

Staff member
Last autumn I begun to get problems to start the engine (Mercruiser 5.7 LX 2000) When I turn the ignition key nothing happens. No click sound, nothing. When I repeat this 3-4 times the engine starts without problem. When the engine been idling for 30 seconds or so it will always start on first attempt.
So its a problem when the engine hasn't been used for a while.

I will replace the battery tomorrow. Whats next to check if that doesn't solve the problem?

My first thought is your ignition switch, corrosion on 10 pin connector, or main power relay.

Got a engine serial number?

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think replacing the battery is the issue. If it eventually starts, then you have enough amperage and voltage. I would lean towards a faulty ignition switch as well. Can you do a voltage check from the key position in the tumbler versus the ignition terminals on the back side of the switch? Sounds like there is a worn tumbler key connection.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My bet is its your starter solenoid hanging up first start of the day due to corrosion. Has your starter ever been submerged?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
When you turn the key to the ON position, do you get the gauges coming to life?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before throwing money on replacement parts, everyone of those things you listed can be checked and repaired or replace IF they check bad. The battery can be charged and load tested for free at most any automotive store. And even wire connections, and all the other parts in play, can be tested as well. So verify a bad part before replace good parts... Start be cleaning every connection to bright shiny metal to make sure you have good electrical connections. And that includes ALL Ground connections too...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
My bet is its your starter solenoid hanging up first start of the day due to corrosion. Has your starter ever been submerged?

+1 this would be my first thought also... I installed a new trim pump with original solenoids, up works perfect, noticed now at times down click click, then will work perfect for while then back to click, click. Im installing new solenoids, what you are describing is a faulty switch.. ignition or solenoid, Id guess the later

Mini hog

Cadet

No, I bought the boat 2011 and since then it hasn't been submerged. And I don't have any reason to believe it has been submerged before I bought it.

Mini hog

Cadet
+1 this would be my first thought also... I installed a new trim pump with original solenoids, up works perfect, noticed now at times down click click, then will work perfect for while then back to click, click. Im installing new solenoids, what you are describing is a faulty switch.. ignition or solenoid, Id guess the later

Is there any easy way to test the solenoids? If its related to corrosion, can it be cleaned?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Before diving in on WAGs and pulling this and that, let's do some simple diagnostics and fix this thing right the first time. No point in wasting time and money if it's not necessary...

No Click indicates the solenoid is either, not getting power, or not pulling in when powered. You could just replace the solenoid. You have a 50-50 chance that will fix it. If it doesn't you're down $25 and no closer to fixing the problem. What I would do, is just put a small light on the terminal of the solenoid. Next time you have the problem, look at the light. If it's on, power is getting there, and you look at grounds or the solenoid itself. If not, you need to chase back from there. First stop is the safety switch in the controls. Back from there is the ignition switch itself. The only other place worth looking at is the main harness connector... I would actually start with that one. Pull the connector and make sure all the pins are spread slightly and there's no corrosion in either the plug or the socket.

Chris.....

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
what Chris said.. you wont find someone more helpful and detailed on this forum.. never met the man,, he's in "the land down under"...ive seen his vids, read his posts, explains what to do and "why" you do it.

in my case, relating to trim pump, the up works every time flawlessly, the switch is working on both, I'm banking on the age of em, gonna change em out....

Bondo

Staff member
Is there any easy way to test the solenoids? If its related to corrosion, can it be cleaned?

Ayuh,.... Test a solenoid by jumpin', or by-passin' it,....

All of the terminals in the startin' circuit, from the battety posts to the solenoids, to the starter, 'n the Grounds, should be cleaned Shiny metal Clean, reinstalled, 'n greased to keep 'em that way,.....