alpha one gimball ?

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been reviewing archives for help in doing a bellows and gimball replacement.
Have a few questions, 1) Why do i need a alignment tool? Doesn't the insertion of the splined outdrive shaft serve the same function as the tool? Isn't that the whole point of a gimball bearing, that it moves in its race?
2) I'm trying to do this job w/o having to buy specialty tools, is there substitute tools o use to remove the star bolt on gimball, the spreader for bellows and alignment tool. I think i'll try a combo of axle puller and bearing puller(auto) for the gimball.
any info appreciated.
Im on the Great Sacandaga, lunch for anyone wants to help.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Ha Ha Ha...do yourself a favor and buy the required tools...you are NOT going to get the job done correctly if you don't have them.

This is coming from someone who is just wrapping up the same job.

If you live in the Farfield/ Litchfield CT area I can lend you the ones I bought...but you will have to leave something of equal value with me.

agallant80

Commander
I can't answer your 2nd qudstion but I can answer your first. You need to align the motor to the gimball bearing. If the motor is out of alignment the coupler will ware out. Once its destroyed you are taking about pulling the motor to replace it. The coupler is about $500 and pulling the motor to replace it is about $2,000 in labor. Spend the $70 on an alignment tool.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
when doing this alignment what exactly will i be moving. the motor, coupler or bearing? thanks

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
The front motor mounts. You adjust them either up or down. It might be right on, it also may be way off. If you could ask around someone could probably lend you one. I use a 24" piece of solid oak to drive the gimbal bearing back in. I have used the rear axle bearing puller you described to pull the bearing, and a 3 jaw puller on a slide hammer. If you were to look on line for the procedure, it's quite simple. Good luck. Dave-R

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You will first be moving the bearing to get it aligned with the coupler(after seating the bearing).Then you will be moving the engine if you have to but you need the tool.Theres plenty of ways to get the exaust bellows on,I tweaked a set of tongs.Puller and slide hammer do the job for bearing removal.I got the bell housing tool but an allen wrench does the job.I drove the new bearing with the old race on the end of a 2x4.

Last edited: