Not staying on after set back to neutral

Djarjis

Cadet
i have a 97 maxim with a 4.3L LX Mercury motor. Changed the spark plugs and I am having an issue with starting it. I turned the key and once the exhaust pushes through I have to put the throttle to forward about eighth of the way and it would stay running. As soon as I put it back in neutral it turns off. Also it's not shifting back in reverse while the boat is off. Any suggestions p

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Sounds like a fuel problem,..... Check the fuel filter for water, 'n crap,.....

Djarjis

Cadet
How about that it's not shifting back in reverse. It's almost like I have to force it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What other work gave you or anybody else done. Had the drive off?

Djarjis

Cadet
When I bought it in March 2015 it was shifting back and forth fine. I took it out on the water to make sure everything is okay and I realized the exhaust bellows was torn up. When I got it out of the water I tried putting back in neutral and i had to force it back and it would go back to reverse. I replaced all the bellows on the drive (which had to be taken off). I put everything back together and it still wouldn't **** back to reverse.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like you may have kinked the shift cable in the bellows replacement process. Don't worry, you're not the first... Unfortunately, it means replacing the entire shift cable assembly now.

Djarjis

Cadet
Before I even replaced the bellows I was having that problem with it not shifting back into reverse. I took the shift cable out and nothing was wrong with it.