New motor working out well

Second trip on the reman motor- running well, breaking in well. Seems to get stronger the longer I run it. 2 problems, both on the starboard side.
1- small oil leak coming from somewhere, drip off the bottom of the exhaust manifold.
2- same manifold is always hotter than the port side. Temp gauge reading 190-200. Port side usually relatively cool to touch. Water is coming out of the drain when I check it.
Any suggestions appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Second trip on the reman motor- running well, breaking in well. Seems to get stronger the longer I run it. 2 problems, both on the starboard side.
1- small oil leak coming from somewhere, drip off the bottom of the exhaust manifold.
I'm thinking to look for intake leak or remote oil filter lines

2- same manifold is always hotter than the port side. Temp gauge reading 190-200. Port side usually relatively cool to touch. Water is coming out of the drain when I check it.
Any suggestions appreciated.
If your gauge is accurate (190-200) your running hot and need to find out why. Check impellers, lines, coolers (power steering and oil) for restrictions

Top of the motor around the intak is dry, first place I checked. Oil filter is on the opposite side and I do not have it relocated.
I just changed the impeller on the Outdrive. Is there another other than the water pump?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I cheak my manifolds they read 108 port and 114 starboard 200 seams high.. Are you getting alot of steam? Have you cheaked multiple spots on the engine?

I don't have a temp gun, kinda went broke getting the motor, lol. The block on both sides is rather hot to the touch. I have not seen any steam from anywhere. Starboard riser and manifold is hot, port side is relatively cool. I pulled the valve at the bottom of both manifolds, both had equal amounts of water in them. Hoses to the thermo housing are not crimped or otherwise obstructed? Really happy with the the motor so far, just these 2 issues holding me from full confidence.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would verify that temp reading some how as it is rather high.. My temp gage runs at 180 my thermostat is 160 and with my temp gun the hottest spot I find on my engine is 152 and thats on the intake manifold. So possibly your gage is a little of

Well, I'll check the y pipe for obstruction tomorrow. Also found out there may be a gasket errors not the risers, should have 2 slots on one side, 4 on the other?
Ahhhhhhhhh!! Ready for some icw r&r without engine worries, lol.

Also I notice when I replaced the manifolds and risers that the gasket between the 2 were the restricted flow type, with slots in 2 sides and small holes in the other. Should I have the unrestricted flow gaskets?

Bondo

Staff member
Also I notice when I replaced the manifolds and risers that the gasket between the 2 were the restricted flow type, with slots in 2 sides and small holes in the other. Should I have the unrestricted flow gaskets?

Nope,.... Use what was there,....

Is there any old impeller parts in the P/S Cooler,..??

i just changed the impeller and the old one was not torn apart, was rather in good shape. But I'll check it just the same.

And back to the oil leak...
Is it possible I need to re-torque the head bolts?

Last edited:

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats on getting her going. It's good to know that at about 140 degrees is when something is hot to the touch. So hot you won't be able to keep your hand on it. The block should get that hot. Not 200 in your gauge. The manifold should not be that hot. Mine feel almost cool to the touch everywhere. Top and sides all easily hand safe.

So I pulled the valve cover. There appeared to be on section that was leaking. There was oil on the head surface where the gasket sits. So I got a new gasket and used some oil resistant RTV. It'll set up tonight and I'll run it tomorrow.

As for the hot riser/manifold- I took it apart today, there were no obstructions in the y pipe, riser (ran a hose through it). When I run it to check for oil leak I'm gonna pull the brass plug bolt out of the top to check for water flow. The plumbing IS supposed to go to the bottom of the manifolds right?

Okay so I've got the oil leak fixed, new gasket with RTV did the trick. Still getting high temp readings, starboard side riser noticeably warmer than the port. I guess I'll pull the thermo housing and check the thermostat rating? No where else to look?

NHGuy

Captain
Your riser gasket slots belong on the sides. ie. the little holes are on the front and rear.
Then if it's still hot to starboard check the thermostat outlet points by removing the hoses there. There is a restrictor in the early ones, it's 2 checkballs on a spring mechanism that keeps some restriction on the water flow. This is needed to keep water up around the thermostat at lower engine speeds so don't remove em. They should be able to touch the t-stat housing, but also able to move away without too much force. Water flow increases with RPM and forces them out when you get moving.

I have the gaskets installed correctly. Here is what I have done so far to check the plumbing.
Pulled hoses to manifolds at the thermostat housing and ran water via hose. Water exits through rear of the boat which tell me neither of these systems from manifold to riser through y pipe is obstructed.
Pulled thermostat out. Engine runs on hose at 140 degrees. BOTH risers are now same temp to touch, but still much warmer than the port side was with the thermostat in.
Changed the impeller- pulled the drain bolt on manifolds while running and getting plenty of water there, on both sides. Impeller operating correctly.

Does it make sense that with the thermostat in water is being held up from the starboard manifold?

Again, with all parts in place, the starboard manifold and riser are hot to the touch, port side is cool as a cucumber.
Would really like to solve this issue and gain confidence in this motor. Ready for the season! Any suggestions are appreciated.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
You just replaced the engine. Was it having problems before? I know it seems crazy but a another guy on here had left his water pump belt off. Maybe take a couple pictures of your set up and see if the experts notice anything off normal.