Replace gaskets on drain plugs on Alpha 1 Gen 2?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
I drained and filled my gear lube myself for the first time this past fall but I didn't have new o-rings for the drain plugs. How often is it necessary to replace these? Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I would use the Alpha gaskets, not O rings.If the oil leaks out you will destroy the drive

alldodge

Staff member
I drained and filled my gear lube myself for the first time this past fall but I didn't have new o-rings for the drain plugs. How often is it necessary to replace these? Thanks.

Agree it should not be an o-ring, should be a fiber gasket ring. I reuse mine three times before putting a new one on

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
What I meant was whatever the correct gasket is, how often should they be replaced. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
considering the cost is next to nothing and your supposed to check it atleast once a year for oil level and water intrusion. So every year would be wise. you get new ones in the water pump replacement kits anyway

Fun Times

Staff member
What I meant was whatever the correct gasket is, how often should they be replaced. Thanks.
The gaskets have an tendency to deform after being torqued down....But sometimes you can reuse them one more time if they seem to be in good condition still. If you have to scrape it out of the hole or pry it off the drain screw.. I would definitely not reuse it. < Also it helps if you're the able to keep an eye on your drive at home for oil leaks but if the boat sit's in the water or somewhere else where you cannot monitor it, it's best to use new every time/year.;) O-rings aren't the best choice but are an option from Merc.

Either you can use the blue gasket part number 12-191833 or the new better yellow gasket 26-830749.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just get a handful of them when you get parts