water in cylinders

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Last year had no problems so this year I went to change the oil since I ran out of time last year only to find some traces of water... I pulled all 4 plugs on driver side. Looks nice and dry. I pull all 4 on passenger side and all wet. I pulled the riser off to find a saturated gasket and coolant in the bottom of the manifold. I Pulled The Manifold And Numbers 3 5 And 7 Exhaust Ports Had FILLED Up With antifreeze and number 1 ex valve was open so the piston had coolant in there. Is it safe to say the riser gasket is the cause of this? Manifolds are glm Aluminum ones I installed in 07. Zero pitting on manifold and risor. I did not run the motor once I filled the motor up with antifreeze.. 1990 mercruiser 350. 260hp

alldodge

Staff member
Last year had no problems so this year I went to change the oil since I ran out of time last year only to find some traces of water... I pulled all 4 plugs on driver side. Looks nice and dry. I pull all 4 on passenger side and all wet. I pulled the riser off to find a saturated gasket and coolant in the bottom of the manifold. I Pulled The Manifold And Numbers 3 5 And 7 Exhaust Ports Had FILLED Up With antifreeze and number 1 ex valve was open so the piston had coolant in there. Is it safe to say the riser gasket is the cause of this? Manifolds are glm Aluminum ones I installed in 07. Zero pitting on manifold and risor. I did not run the motor once I filled the motor up with antifreeze.. 1990 mercruiser 350. 260hp

It you be a good bet that the gasket is the issue. Where the riser bolts loose?

Bondo

Staff member
Manifolds are glm Aluminum ones I installed in 07. Zero pitting on manifold and risor.

Ayuh,.... Check 'em with a straight edge, 'n feeler gauges,.....

Had to remachine mine flat, as the inner gasket surface was considerably lower than the outer edge,.....

Right outa the box,....

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Boats tight to 30lbs. Was using paper gaskets. I put a straight edge on them and they are perfectly square. I upgraded both sides to the soft metal ones and torque to 33lbs. Well see what happens !

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
When I got my GLM's back in 07 mine were slightly off. I had the local machine shop hit the manifolds and risors and true them up. i'm surprised they leaked. When i put them on 7 years ago they had given me green hard paper gaskets. It looks like the gaskets dried out and hardened when I took the riser off. The small gasket portion around the exhaust rise was saturated in coolant from winterizing.