What did I do wrong?

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I tried to install the exhaust bellows into the gimbal housing. This is the first and the simplest step, as I thought ?
I applied Quicksilver adhesive, waited for 5 min, and then pressed the bellows into the place. Went easy. Then I tightened the clamp. I used a torque wrench and did not exceed 30 lb-in, may be even less.
I turned my head away to start cleaning the tools, when I hear some funny rubber sound coming from the bellows. I turned my head back and saw that it went off! By itself! Without any loads!
What did I do wrong?
The surfaces were very clean. I am somewhat annoyed that construction of the fitting in the gimbal housing has no any structure on its surface. When it is clean, basically polished, something like this may happen.
Did I put too much adhesive? Did I wait too little? Did I over-tightened the clamp?
Did anyone see anything like that happening?
I cleaned the parts quickly and will re-attempt, but would love to have some analysis before. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
I tried to install the exhaust bellows into the gimbal housing. This is the first and the simplest step, as I thought …
I applied Quicksilver adhesive, waited for 5 min, and then pressed the bellows into the place. Went easy. Then I tightened the clamp. I used a torque wrench and did not exceed 30 lb-in, may be even less.

I turned my head away to start cleaning the tools, when I hear some funny rubber sound coming from the bellows. I turned my head back and saw that it went off! By itself! Without any loads!
What did I do wrong?

The surfaces were very clean. I am somewhat annoyed that construction of the fitting in the gimbal housing has no any structure on its surface. When it is clean, basically polished, something like this may happen.
Did I put too much adhesive? Did I wait too little? Did I over-tightened the clamp?
Did anyone see anything like that happening?

I cleaned the parts quickly and will re-attempt, but would love to have some analysis before. Thanks!

I fixed it for you. I don't think there's too many guys here that can read print that small ;)

What are you working on? What drive do you have??

Last edited:

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine is 1993 4.3LX/V6 serial number OF0244564. The transom is OF058634. The drive is OD886515 (Alpha One Gen II).

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Its ok to let the adhesive tack up before sliding it on // The clamp needs to be completely over the metal if // its on the edge that can cause the issues you described as well.

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I re-attempted installation of the exhaust bellows.

I gave little more time for the compound to dry. It took more effort to slide it in, but it stayed there.

Also, I did not tighten the clamp all the way immediately. I tightened it slightly, and will finish next day, when the adhesive fully sets.

Thanks!