how do I know if my gimbal bearing is in all the way

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
before removing my old gimbal bearing, I marked my alignment tool for the correct depth. However now that I have the new one in it appears to be all the way in, but according to my marking I still have Inch or so to go. So I think that I may have marked my tool wrong, or I used the wrong mark. I stuck my finger back there and it's butting up completely against the grease seal. also, is it possible to put it in too far? I have an alpha 1 Gen 2. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
oh, also I did replace the grease seal. I drove it in approximately where the old one was. I figured if it wasn't exactly where it needed to be that my bearing would drive it into the right place. Could it be that I have the grease seal is out too far? Or is my theory that the bearing will seat it correct? I just don't want to keep pounding on this thing and mess something up, because it doesn't seem like its all the way in but its not going in any further either. Does anybody have any approximate measurement from the engine coupler to the outside of the bearing?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I always measure with a depth gauge first. But I could feel and hear when the bearing was up against the seat. I use a heavy sledge with light blows and can feel when it bottoms out. My tool is a 2 foot piece of round solid oak that supports the outside of the bearing. I have never replaced a seal though. Never saw the need. Dave-R

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for the response Dave, I decided to grab my puller and insert that into the new bearing just to give me an idea of the position of the old bearing (Stil adjusted to the depth from when I pulled old one) it appears that I do not have my bearing in all the way, . so maybe my marks are correct, and my bearing is not in, however it will not move its.... stuck. it does feel like it is bottoming out but it can't be

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the bearing back out to pay closer attention to what it seats against and get a better idea of how far it needs to go in, and pay attention to the sound of a bottoming out this time. I did have it in all the way, the first time. Oh well now I know

Last edited: