Shifting problem

GPSirna

Cadet
1974 Sea Ray SRV 190 I/O Ford 302 188 HP SN #363972 with MC-1 888 Stern drive SN # 3705070, first I/O style boat for me.
When starting up (with muffs) after oil changes in engine and out drive, it is not shifting into forward or reverse. Is this normal? Do I need to be in the water or is there adjustment to the shift cables that I need to make. Also the shift interrupt switch has been disabled from the previous owner. Thanks for any input.

As a first guess I'd say the lower shift cable is probably worn out. When people disable the shift interruptor switch, it is usually because the worn shift cable keeps the switch engaged a little too long and causes the engine to stall out.

I think I'd pull the drive off first and see if the shifting is still just as difficult, and eliminate the drive as a possible cause.

Some things that may need to be addressed in an old boat, things like the bellows, impeller in the outdrive, and the lower shift cable get worn out. Do you have any idea how old these parts are?

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ouuh. Careful! Disabling the shift interrupt switch is dangerous. Have you already operated this boat in the water? I can't believe you aren't having shifting problems when docking. If you don't know the history of this boat, I'd change the shift cable and properly adjust the interrupt switch before getting into the water. That's a good boat, good luck.

JK

GPSirna

Cadet
Thanks for the input everyone. The motor is strong and sounds good, great oil pressure. Fairly new interior, no tears or wear. I just bought this boat in December. I have not had it in the water yet. I do not know the history of the boat except that a friend rode in it last summer. I wanted to make sure everything worked before I put it in the water. The shift cable does not appear to be moving when moving the throttle/shift lever. I wanted to put the boat in as the weather here in SW Michigan has finally become warm, 30's and 50's to high 70's. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to get it off my phone.

GPSirna

Cadet
I put in the water and tried to shift, no go. So I disconnected the shift cables from the pivot and shifted by hand. I can hand shift into forward or reverse, if I kill the motor,of course. So I need a new cable from from the control arm. AND the interrupt switch hooked back up. How difficult of a job is that to do? I work maintenance, so I am skilled. But do I have the proper tools and knowledge to do the job. I do not have time to reinvent the wheel.

GPSirna

Cadet
Thank you very much!
Now I just need to get the old one out, determine the length and buy and install a new one. Hook up interrupter switch and adjust that portion. Then I should be on the water!

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When you get done replacing the shift cable, watch this YouTube video on basic adjustment. He nailed it for my "76 SRV 200.
JK

GPSirna

Cadet
Thanks for the link!
While the interrupt switch still needs to be hooked up, after taking out the shift control box, the shift cable portion of the control box is not moving when the lever is moving. The throttle cable moves but not the shift cable. It appears that there is a small pin missing that locks the two cable wheels together. I'll need to figure that portion out first.

GPSirna

Cadet
I guess I need to READ the operator manual. Pushing in on the center button of the control lever releases the the throttle cable from the shift cable. DUH! Moving the lever without pushing the center button moves both cable into the desired direction. So interrupt switch just needs to be hooked up and adjusted. I never owned an I/O before this boat.