Lower shift cable "plastic insert" installation help, from inside or outside?

theblockhead

Cadet
Lower shift cable "plastic insert" installation help, from inside or outside?

Hello, I am replacing the lower shift cable on a boat I recently bought (Alpha 1 Gen 2 (2001)) which apparently had been leaking for quite some time. The plastic insert that goes through the transom became totally mangled and I had to drill it out. The hole is about 1/2" and is now totally clean. The new kit comes with a shorter insert, part number, 14705. Is this part inserted from the back of the boat or from inside the engine compartment? The original part looked as if it was much longer and was inserted from the engine side. I can't see how on earth I can insert it from inside boat without taking out the engine. I assume it is just there to prevent chafing but I am not sure if the chafing happens at the back near the bellows or where it exits the transom to go around the Y pipe. Thanks for your help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That plastic insert goes in from the inside of the boat. The other thing to pay particular attention to is the path of the shift cable. If you don't get that right, damage through chaffing will occur.

Shift cable routing.jpg

theblockhead

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I did see that diagram in the manual. I have a V8 and it's hard to tell from the drawing. Am I coming between the steering cable tube and the power steering unit or all the way behind the power steering unit? The previous installer apparently did not see this diagram. He came directly up with a hard bend and looped behind steering. That, along with the water that got in because the lower shift shaft seals were melted, and the cable was really hard to move. As for the plastic sleeve, there is no easy way to get it in from the motor side without removing the engine so I measured the depth of the bore and cut a piece of hard polyethylene tubing (1/2" OD) and some epoxy and slid it in from outside. The shift cable slides easily through.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Cable comes up behind the steering unit and steering cable, not between...

fuelinaround

Cadet
I had a similiar issue last week. While changing my shift cable the insert was missing, found it on the cable when I removed it. Tried everything to get a new one on but looks like the motor must come out. Like your idea Blockhead for a temp fix.

theblockhead

Cadet
No Title

I believe I found the correct part number for the original "long" sleeve. It is part number 861632. It is about 3" long with a flanged wider end that tapers down to 1/2" on the other. I think the way to install it is to pull it back from the inside with a "T" attached to a fish. I'm guessing at the dimensions as all I have is the mangled remains of what I drilled apart that fell into the bilge. If you look at the photo it appears to be the correct shape. It was only $6 with shipping so I'm willing to gamble (big spender that I am). I'm just debating if I want to pull out my homemade sleeve since I haven't put it all completely back together yet.

Attachments

• photo220489.png
    photo220489.png
    612.9 KB · Views: 24

Fun Times

Staff member
I believe I found the correct part number for the original "long" sleeve. It is part number 861632. It is about 3" long with a flanged wider end that tapers down to 1/2" on the other.
Nice find! It should work if you install it. I was going to mention the longer insert part number to you but you had already came up with something of your own.

I really don't know why they put the smaller insert in the kit and show it on the parts catalogs when the one that comes in the transom assembly from new is the longer one like you took out. A lot of the newer parts catalog (Bravos mostly) are starting to show the new longer part number vs the older/smaller insert part number 14705.

Not that it matters really but the part number 861632 has superseded 861632T.

theblockhead

Cadet
No Title

I received the sleeve and installed it. I took some photos of how I got it in. Maybe this will help someone else. The first photo shows the new long sleeve (3.0"), what was left of my old one, and the wrong piece that comes with the kit that is obviously for some other casting. The second photo is the old shift cable on the inside of the boat that goes through the transom. I used a drill stop and a piece of plastic sleeve from an lcd tv mount I had lying around. I then just pulled from outside the boat and it slipped right into the taper and snapped into place. I was a little surprised because nothing on a Merc seems to just go as it should but I'm certainly not complaining. It's gray because I use Aluthane epoxy paint as a primer.

Attachments

• photo221109.jpg
    photo221109.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 27
  • photo221110.jpg
    photo221110.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 28
  • photo221116.jpg
    photo221116.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 31