Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive knock with prop, no knock without.

joeybobo

Cadet
Hi everyone, I recently pulled my drive and had the upper resealed, and purchased a brand new OEM lower. Put everything back together. When checking the shifter while the engine was running, there was a knocking sound coming from the outdrive in forward and reverse, nothing in neutral. However when I removed the propeller, the knocking sound went away. Before I call a mechanic to check it out, I was just wondering if this sound is normal? I know there's a little normal back and forth play on the prop shaft and the sound is similar, just want to be sure before dropping it in the water.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Is the prop hittin' the anode,..??

joeybobo

Cadet
Yes it's an SS prop, I should also mention I'm on muffs and not in the water just yet. I don't believe it's hitting the anode, I have the prop installed with all the proper washers according to the Merc manual.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
What you most likey are hearing is the prop over-running the gear dogs and its just slapping . the motor`s rpm varies ,and the prop dosent and the gears hit

joeybobo

Cadet
Awesome, I figured it was nothing, but thought I'd ask the experts anyway. I'm going to be dropping it in the water this weekend. If it turns out to be something more than what you guys are saying, I'll update the thread. Thanks for all the responses!