Replacing a 1999 3.0 mercruiser

inletlife2015

Seaman
90 deg angle brackets, working good if I can get that bad motor to come out. That frame is supposed to be temporary ! LOL

Alumarine

Captain
I thought the motor in the air was from your boat. New motor looks nice though.
I believe the nut is held captive in a hexagonal hole. Can you feel the nut turning as you turn the bolt?

inletlife2015

Seaman
Nope, the motor on the chain is the replacement, I had to get it out of the back of my truck.

You are right and I don't think the nut is the problem. I can feel the nut and it moves freely and stops on the wall it is in. I think the bolt is clear of the nut, but when the bolt turns, the bushing is turning with it. Not sure how to proceed, I have soaked it with liquid wrench really good.

Alumarine

Captain
Maybe it's loose but just binding. Why not try and see if the rear of the motor will go up.
Maybe with a pry bar?

inletlife2015

Seaman
I lifted up the rear of the motor with the hoist and tried to turn it but got the same results. I think there must be a lot of rust on the bolt but the liquid wrench is not working very well.

inletlife2015

Seaman
I lifted the motor up with the hoist and still got the same results. I think its just a lot of rust on the bolt and it is binding on the bushing that it goes through. I would rather not cut the bolt but at this point, I need to get that bad motor OUT.

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I assume you have tried running the bolt back down and up a bunch of times? Can always try acetone and atf best penetrating oil!

inletlife2015

Seaman
I did that some buy it was so hard to turn it wore me out quick. I guess I will work with it some more tomorrow when Im off work. Thanks for all the advice !

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It sounds like the inner liner of the rubber bushin' is rusted solid to the bolt,.....

Yer gonna need new rear motor mounts,....

You could burn out the rubber, 'n pull the bolt out with the rusted collar still on it,....

Be careful, 'n have have fire control close at hand,....

Donno if you could even get at it with a sawsall,....??

inletlife2015

Seaman
Right you are Bondo ! It was rusted in there and would not budge. After I made sure that the nut was clear of the bolt, I grabbed it with the chain and tried to pull it out that way. The bolt came out with the old motor. So now I am making headway here..the bad motor is out ! The outdrive was still seized up as well so I backed the motor off of the driveshaft and lifted it on out of the boat. Smacked the driveshaft with a hammer and block of wood and it came out easily. I put it in the nifty stand I made for it.
Moving on I reached into the bellhousing and tried the gimble bearing, NOT turning. I think I have done enough research to know that I should now replace the bearing and bellows.
Q: What tool do I need to remove the bellhousing ? And what is recommended to use to remove the bearing ?

Moving right along ! Thanks again for any advice.

inletlife2015

Seaman

This is the outdrive that I purchased that came with the motor. It's older than my alpha 1 but should be low hours like the motor. I was thinking about not rebuilding the alpha 1 now and just install this outdrive for now. Does anyone see any problems that I may run into with this swap ? Looks to me that I should have everything I need to do this but I am probably overlooking something. Any thoughts ?