Replacing a 1999 3.0 mercruiser

inletlife2015

Seaman
I have a 1999 Bayliner Capri that has a BAD 3.0 mercruiser with an Alpha 1 sterndrive. I found a marine dealer that has a good used 3.0 motor that came out of a 1989 Bayliner. The dealer told me that the 89 motor was on a gen1,but it should be compatible, but he didn't sound very sure of his answer. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I would like to know for sure if it is compatible before I purchase it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1999 Bayliner Capri that has a BAD 3.0 mercruiser with an Alpha 1 sterndrive. I found a marine dealer that has a good used 3.0 motor that came out of a 1989 Bayliner. The dealer told me that the 89 motor was on a gen1,but it should be compatible, but he didn't sound very sure of his answer. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I would like to know for sure if it is compatible before I purchase it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... If these are complete bobtail motors, Yes, they'll swap, unit for unit, drop-in, plug, 'n play,.....

There maybe adaptions made, but normal sorta stuff,...

inletlife2015

Seaman
Thanks Bondo ! Will I need to pull the sterndrive off to replace the motor ? I am a newbee to the boat world so I will probably hit you with a lot more questions...thanks in advance !

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes, the drive must come off. You also need to align the new engine. Both those jobs are very easy. Have a look in the stickies at the top of the forums (called 'Adults only'), click on Mercruiser info then my videos. You'll see just how easy it is.

Chris.....

inletlife2015

Seaman
Operation " Get me on the water " is back on. After much research, and thanks for the advice and comments so far. Chris, videos very helpful !
I picked up a different motor with very low hours on it. Looks and sounds great. Got a great deal on the motor, and the outdrive that I can use as a spare. Will post some pictures later today. Now I need to figure out where to start. My neighbor has a cherry picker that I can use for my project but it seems to me, without even going to look at it that a standard cherry picker would not have enough height to do the job. Right now the Bad merc is in the boat, the new merc is in the back of my truck.

Bondo

Staff member
My neighbor has a cherry picker that I can use for my project but it seems to me, without even going to look at it that a standard cherry picker would not have enough height to do the job.

Ayuh,.... Yer Right,.... Unless ya raise the picker, or lower the boat, or both,.....

I have seen one used, mounted in the back of a pickup,...

A tree limb or garage door frame might be Better,....

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
you're going to need something taller than a standard engine hoist to get it out. i just did an engine this spring and used and excavator to lift the engine.

inletlife2015

Seaman
I thought as much..I'm very limited where I live. No trees that will work, garage door is too low. Think I may have to build a temporary frame with wood tall enough to do the job. Whatever works I guess. Will a cable puller type come a long be enough, or do I need a heavy chain fall ?

Alumarine

Captain
A good quality cable puller will work just fine if it's the right capacity. Might have to double it up if it isn't.
They do add to the height requirements compared to a chain fall.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
you can rent a mini excavator from an equipment rental place or home depot for around 200 bucks for a day. That will be cheaper than building something out of wood unless you have all the materials already laying around

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I pulled a 3 liter out of my old Avanti with a cherry picker.

took the wheels off the trailer and ran it on the hubs sitting on a pair of 2 x 4's on the garage floor. pulled the trailer forward with the garden tractor. oil pan just cleared.

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is how I got mine out. Good luck!

Attachments

• photo223129.jpg
    photo223129.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo223130.jpg
    photo223130.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo223131.jpg
    photo223131.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

inletlife2015

Seaman
Frame built...had most of the materials except for a couple of posts and a few brackets. My neighbor let me borrow a 900 lb electric hoist that I am going to mount on the beam...that should do the trick. Went to pull the outdrive and got stuck..literally. Trim cylinders disconnected, all nuts removed, in forward gear, I got about a 1/8 in gap and the outdrive will not go any further. Am I missing something ?

Last edited:

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
Should come right off unless somehow you have a counter rotating setup, which would mean having to put it in reverse instead of forward. driveshaft stuck in coupler maybe? look it all over real good before you start prying.

inletlife2015

Seaman
I am trying to upload some pictures but it keeps saying the file is to big. Any idea how to fix this ?
Anyway I picked up a 1 ton chain hoist that worked like a charm so the new ( used ) motor is finally done riding around in the back of my truck. Still cant get the outdrive to come off so I started taking out the motor mount bolts hoping the outdrive would free up if it is seized up in the motor. Got 3 bolts out but one of the bolts on the stern end is seized up bad. Broke a ratchet, soaked it in penetrating oil overnight then tried a breaker bar, still not breaking loose. Scared to put much more pressure on it and ring it off. Any ideas would be helpful because Im stuck !

inletlife2015

Seaman
Bolt broke loose..yoo hoo ! really tight coming all the way out but its 3/4 of the way out when a shower popped up. still trying to figure out how to upload pictures

inletlife2015

Seaman
Still cant get the rear motor mount bolt out. I don't think there is enough penetrating oil in HD. It will move very little with a lot of pressure but it will not back out. Do I have to get to the nut at the bottom ? I tried but don't seem to have enough arms. Outdrive still not coming off. Stay the course is all I can do