5.7 icm? no spark

mike96chap

Cadet
Not even quite sure myself. From what I've read the dial back delays the light to achieve the correct setting somehow. I'll install the new starter tomorrow and try again. I did turn the distributor to much and it did stall. This was probably because I had the wrong cable hooked up. Come to think of it by the position of the timing marks it was about a 270 degree turn lol

Fun Times

Staff member
Wellll.. got her fired up again. The timing marks are on the opposite side of the indicator. So I started to turn the Distributor and the motor cut out. I assumed this is normal because if the timing is off it's not going to fire correctl. So I flipped the starter 180 degrees and when I went to crank it again the starter was grinding. So here's a question. Is this the same starter as and automotive starter. Or is it marine specific. I've searched on Google and they all seen the same for the 350 5.7
Did you mean you set/flipped the distributor 180 degrees and then the starter started making a grinding noise when trying to start the engine?:confused: I just want to be sure you didn't change to a different engine starter and install the wrong starter that turns in the opposite direction. There's a difference of what way an engine starters spins depending on what direction your engine turns. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/starterrotate.htm

We still need your engine serial number like mentioned in post #6 above to help find any OEM part numbers for you.
th

Last edited:

mike96chap

Cadet
Here I am again. I can't get to the back of the motor to see the model number. However I installed the new starter. Fired up and set the timing. This time on plug 1 lol all was good. Shut it down and poof. What do ya know. It's grinding again. Is it possible the battery I Have. Which is a interstate automotive. I know I know. Isn't strong enough to keep the motor engage?

figaro

Cadet
starter may require some shims ? if you pull the starter out i would also examine the teeth on the flywheel make sure there not damaged

wrench 3

Commander
If you're checking the flywheel teeth make sure the engine is in a position (rotation) where the starter was grinding. A V8 engine always stops in one of three positions. Therefore the teeth only wear in three small arias.

mike96chap

Cadet
Found the problem again. The bolts holding the starter in started to loosen and back out. I tightened them down real good and now she starts on the first crank.