Outdrive lower unit lube

I took part the Outdrive to change the impeller. Had all back together but had to take it apart again (forgot to shift into forward). Got that starightened out but noticed I had blue lube leaking down from where the drive shaft of the lower unit should go. Will that seal up when I put it all back together. Don't think I got EVEYTHING drained out before I started working on it.

And I found it easier to reinstall upper to boat then lower to upper. Any problems with that?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
As long as there was none leaking BEFORE the WP service and approx 1 1/2 quarts came out you should be fine.Make certain you put the quad seal oring at the oil passage.Refer to a manual to be certain.Charlie

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If this was an Alpha drive you have a bad seal in the upper, if it was a GEN II drive, its normal

Okay so I put it all back together before I saw your replies. Where do I keep an eye on the exterior to see if it is still leaking? This boat is about to wear me out!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the only place you might see oil is on the right side where the units bolt together if the quad seal was left out.But what type of drive are you working on?