2007 Mercruiser 5.0 tks 4000 rpm's maximum?

wpowell323

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Serial # 0W640972 Alpha Drive

I put the boat in earlier this year and figure out it suffered freeze damage. Other than the block leaking it ran perfect, but the oil had a little milk. So I ordered a 5.0 long block and had a friend who is a marine mechanic help me swap everything over. We took the boat to the lake and it will only turn 4000's rpm's. The timing is set at 8* BTDC per the breather and seems to be advancing to 31* at WOT. The boat seems to have good power up to 4000 rpm's, but then it just stops. The fuel is clean, I have spark, even went as far as to change all the wires and cap and rotor. I feel like it is something stupid that I am missing and I am hoping someone on here can help point me in the right direction.

Fun Times

Staff member
Are you sure the throttle cable is opening up all the way?
Did you put 2 new OEM gaskets under the carb...One on each side of the adaptor (#16)?
What engine block did you buy? Did it come with a new intake or used your old one?
Are you trimming the drive at speed for better efficiency. Different prop?

12429_500.gif

alldodge

Staff member
Serial # 0W640972 Alpha Drive

I put the boat in earlier this year and figure out it suffered freeze damage. Other than the block leaking it ran perfect, but the oil had a little milk. So I ordered a 5.0 long block and had a friend who is a marine mechanic help me swap everything over. We took the boat to the lake and it will only turn 4000's rpm's. The timing is set at 8* BTDC per the breather and seems to be advancing to 31* at WOT. The boat seems to have good power up to 4000 rpm's, but then it just stops. The fuel is clean, I have spark, even went as far as to change all the wires and cap and rotor. I feel like it is something stupid that I am missing and I am hoping someone on here can help point me in the right direction.

If your using the correct timing procedure, using MR43TLS plugs at .045 gap, then I would put a vacuum gauge on the engine and check if you have 15-18 in Hg at idle

wpowell323

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We set the timing using the est procedure. It is 10* btdc at idle and 31* fully advanced. I am using the ngk plugs mercruiser reccomens, but I did start with the Ac delco before we changed the wires and cap. I am using the intake I had and I never took the carb off the intake. I can check the vacuum tomorrow. If it is off should I look for an intake leak? I have sprayed around with carb cleaner and it seems fine.

alldodge

Staff member
We set the timing using the est procedure. It is 10* btdc at idle and 31* fully advanced. I am using the ngk plugs mercruiser reccomens, but I did start with the Ac delco before we changed the wires and cap. I am using the intake I had and I never took the carb off the intake. I can check the vacuum tomorrow. If it is off should I look for an intake leak? I have sprayed around with carb cleaner and it seems fine.

Intake would be the next check. If your vacuum is within range I would suggest start with the basics. Look at the fuel pump for correct flow and pressure (4-6 psi).

As FT mentioned, are you using the same prop?

Fourwinnsfun

Recruit
Hi, has this problem been resolved? I just bought an 07 Four Winns Horizon 200 with the merc 5.0 tks and have the exact same problem...

Last edited: