Question about gear selection

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm really enjoying boat ownership and finding and fixing problems, but don't want to go looking for something that is working perfectly fine.

I've noticed on several occasions, when shifting out of forward or reverse, that when placed in neutral, the drive will remain in gear for an extended period of time, about 5 seconds or so.

I understand how the shift interrupt works, so my questions is, how quickly should the drive come out of gear?

Thanks again for any input.

Bondo

Staff member
I understand how the shift interrupt works, so my questions is, how quickly should the drive come out of gear?

Ayuh,... Just as soon as the motor stumbles,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like a cable out of adjustment, or too much 'slop' in the shift system somewhere.. Yes, I'd go looking for it.

Chris......

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good for me, bad for wife, ha. That's what I was thinking too. Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so here we are agin. The shift interior switch definitely works. Cables required some adjustments so hopefully when we get in the water that's what is causing the shift problems. Now I get to post about a new problem that's an old problem. Thanks again.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had the boat on the water today. Still won't promptly shift out of gear. Especially forward. Cables did require some adjustment but they are within spec now. Any ideas?

achris

Is the shift interrupt switch adjustment correct? Do you have a genuine service manual? (seloc and clymer are not service manuals, they are just padding to stop your knees hurting when you work on things)....

Sounds like something is sticking somewhere. Have you pulled all the parts off the shift plate and cleaned and lubed them?

Chris......

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't realize there was an adjustment on the switch itself. No genuine manual, just one of those knee pads. I'll see what I can learn about that adjustment and take her apart again tomorrow and give her a good scrub and lubing.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would post your engine and drive numbers and see if you can download a proper service manual. Those adjustments can be quite trickey to get right and a proper service manual is the only way to do it......saying that due to experience!!!

achris

You can check the adjustment 2 ways, with engine running, and without. (I prefer without).

With engine running. Find yourself a 1/8" drill bit. With the engine running start moving the plunger of the switch until the engine stops. see if the drill bit will fit in the gap. If the gap is too big, loosen the screws and move the switch towards the lever. Too small, move it away (I would say if anything, your gap will be too big).

Engine not running... Using your multimeter... disconnect the white/green wire from the ignition sensor in the distributor and put the meter black wire on ground and red wire on the the white/green wire (going to the shift interrupt switch)... Meter on the ohms scale, x1. With the switch in the resting position the meter shouldn't move. Start moving the switch plunger until the meter jumps up to the 0 end of the scale (far right). Now set that gap to 1/8" with the drill bit....

Chris......

Last edited:

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled everything apart again including the entire cable assembly. Everything is clean and lubed. There is no adjustment in the shift interior switch but no adjustment was needed as the switch closes well with 1/8". I put her all back together. 6 inches center to center on the lower cable. Fit the upper cable and turned the cylinder four turns away. Wish me luck tomorrow.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Persistence pays off. Went to the lake today. Shifts amazing with a nice little studder coming out of gear. One thing, right or wrong, that I had to do to make it work. There's a wire spring that provides resistance on the switch. I tweaked it a bit and made it weaker. That in combination with the cable adjustments did the trick. So friggin happy.