Possible problem with 140 3.0l Exhaust Riser

Alumarine

Captain
I have a question regarding the Exhaust Riser from my 1980 140 3.0l. It's raw water cooled.
I took it off to check the water shutter and decided to compare it to one I had lying around.
In the picture my Riser is the lower one and it doesn't have the round insert thing in it like the upper one where it goes into the exhaust bellows.
Is there something wrong with the lower one? Thanks. I'm not sure what the upper one came off of. Perhaps a 165 I6.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... That tube extends the area where the water mixes in, 'n helps with reversion,.......

The bottom one is junk,...

Can't see inside the top one, it might be junk too,...

Alumarine

Captain
Thank you for that info.
I'm glad I had another to compare it to otherwise I would have reused it.
Here's a couple of hopefully better pics of the spare. Ignore the leaves and cobwebs.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... That looks awhole lot Better,.... Clean the gasket surface with a flat file, 'n use the Merc carbon metallic gaskets,..... ;)

Alumarine

Captain
Ayuh,..... That looks awhole lot Better,.... Clean the gasket surface with a flat file, 'n use the Merc carbon metallic gaskets,..... ;)

Thank you very much for the help. Will take a file to it and get the Merc gasket tomorrow when I pick up the flapper.
Sure glad I had that riser in stock, wherever it came from. I'll put a plug in where the 3/4" elbow is on the port side.