89 Alpha won't go back on. ...Help!

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 89 Glastron SS 195 Sierra 3.0 , Alpha 1 outdrive. I tried aligning the shift shafts back up and the lower will not go straight again. I don't want to force it and wind up breaking it. What am I missing? Should I just take it to the shop?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It is easier to remove the entire outdrive and then assemble the two halves on the bench. Then you can install the entire outdrive.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Don't forget the stainless steel washer that sits under the shift shaft.

2. Put the controller in forward - wide open throttle. Put outdrive in forward. Install drive.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is in the forward position, however it's what's on the outdrive that won't move straight, it moves, but totally straight. .....probably sits at 1130 on the clock

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
This is the washer I am referring to:

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

I have also found the shift slide tool to be EXTREMELY helpful if you are doing it yourself. (The orange thing pictured here)::

DSCF8622.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Well if I understand the problem and not sure I do but will throw this out anyway...the main drive shaft from the outdrive has a tendency to bend at the u-joints and not go in straight so you can't get the outdrive all the way in and that may be your problem. I know it has caused me a headache or two. If the u-joints are really free like mine they want to flop around while trying to install the outdrive unit. Not enough room to get fingers in there so.....one time I was having no luck getting it in and a friend climbed into the boat and pulled the main shaft from inside and it slid right together by pulling that little kink from the u-joints. Normally I do not have a problem, but on some days....oh you know how it is.. Not sure if this is your issue or not but thought I would throw this out there.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It is in the forward position, however it's what's on the outdrive that won't move straight, it moves, but totally straight. .....probably sits at 1130 on the clock

Make sure you turn the prop counterclockwise as you turn the shift shaft clockwise. It should match straight up fore and aft.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gents, thanks for the help, I'll get some photos of it on here by the end of the week, from what I can see, Airshot, the catch on the bottom fixed to the shifter shafts is lined up correctly however it's the part on the drive itself that's the issue. Maybe I should've been a bit more descriptive in my initial posts as to its function. Maybe this will be enough to decipher

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes that gimbal example is correct. .......it's located on the outdrive, that's the gimbal shaft, but what's on my outdrive is the issue as well . I'll check the issues with the drive shaft once I get the new gasket and seal kit

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watched a video from Frisco Boater, and in unison with everyone's help found the solution. ......patience is a virtue, check and double check everything, I'll get it done .