Engine swap & need advise

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 Sundancer 260 that originally had a Merc 305ci and I'm putting in a 350 from 1974. First question or problem I'm having is the oil dipstick and tube. The block is equipped to fit the larger tube that only goes in about an inch. I am using the 1985 manifolds and need the tube to be very long as to not interfere with control modular on port side manifold. I found this: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=1014&bnbr=310&bdesc=OIL+PAN+AND+OIL+PUMP
But not sure if this will work. Can someone please advise me or point me in the right direction?

2. I am using 1985 distributor which I put new module in and not sure which wires go to where. I have 2 white wires, one with red stripe, one with green and a black ground wire. Harness side has purple to positive side of coil and grey to negative then a white with green stripe and a solid green which I'm thinking goes to oil pressure sending unit. Any help with this well would be greatly appreciated!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...2. I am using 1985 distributor which I put new module in and not sure which wires go to where. I have 2 white wires, one with red stripe, one with green and a black ground wire. Harness side has purple to positive side of coil and grey to negative then a white with green stripe and a solid green which I'm thinking goes to oil pressure sending unit. Any help with this well would be greatly appreciated!

The white with a red stripe goes to coil +, white with a green stripe goes to coil -. White with a green also goes to the shift interrupt switch. Green is water temperature sender.

Bondo

Staff member
First question or problem I'm having is the oil dipstick and tube. The block is equipped to fit the larger tube that only goes in about an inch. I am using the 1985 manifolds and need the tube to be very long as to not interfere with control modular on port side manifold.

Ayuh,.... Can't ya use the dipstick from the take out motor,..??

With a brake line bender tool, you can rebend a dipstick tube to where ya need it, just be careful, 'n don't crimp it,....

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I'll follow the wiring. As far as the the dip stick, the old block has a smaller diameter tube so, it doesn't fit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a brass bushing from your local hardware store

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know about fittment of the dipstick, but if you're worried about the markings you can always fill your engine to spec and restamp the dipstick.

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I had few different ideas about the dipstick, but decided I already have the original short tube off block and bought a new generic auto one, drilled out old just a tad and fit new one in original tube. Bent to fit where I needed it. Filled block with oil to spec. Cut new tube to match oil level to new stick. Just going to wait till boat is in water, mark and restamp to engine angle. Should be good to go!

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Another question I have is the trim sensor wires, height and limit. They are cut, as I had to buy a new (used) gimble housing. Need to know where these go?

Fuel filter housing has 2 wires coming out of it that I'm not sure where they go as well. Was told, but can't confirm, these go to trim sensors?

Attachments

• photo220156.jpg
    photo220156.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0

achris

Those wires above the filter are the trim position sender wires. One is just as ground, the other is the signal to the gauge, which is the brown/white wire...

Now you know where the position sender wires go ^^^, the limit wires go to a couple of connectors on the trim pump itself.

HTH,

Chris.....

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
72gt160 you should have two purple wires to the positve on coil two grey to negative on coil. White and red wire goes to the back of the distributer starboard lug .The two white and green wires go to port lug. Stick your head back there it tells you the colours on the distributer..The black is a ground to distributer. And the blue wire or green is oil pressure. I just got done hooking mine all back up

achris

72gt160 you should have two purple wires to the positve on coil two grey to negative on coil. White and red wire goes to the back of the distributer starboard lug .The two white and green wires go to port lug. Stick your head back there it tells you the colours on the distributer..The black is a ground to distributer. And the blue wire or green is oil pressure. I just got done hooking mine all back up

I don't think he was asking about distributor wiring, more trim gauge and limit sensor wiring... :noidea:

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the help. Now, I needed to replace gimble housing and cut the wires. I have 2 sets of 2 wires coming through gimble housing, all black. How to tell which go where?

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right, the wire off filter goes to trim sensor, one is ground and brown/white to sensor. On the Trim sensor side, one must be ground and other to the b/w wire. So, the other sensor must be the limiter? Where do those wires go to?

achris

Gauge sender is starboard side. Limit sender is port side, and its wires would go to the trim pump harness. You should find a couple of female bullet connectors there...

Chris.....

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well. Figured out wires. Now, looking for trim pump in boat and there isn't one! Guy I bought boat from must have taken out and I missed it, dammit! Now on the hunt for more parts.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1985 Sundancer 260 that originally had a Merc 305ci and I'm putting in a 350 from 1974. First question or problem I'm having is the oil dipstick and tube. The block is equipped to fit the larger tube that only goes in about an inch. I am using the 1985 manifolds and need the tube to be very long as to not interfere with control modular on port side manifold. I found this: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=1014&bnbr=310&bdesc=OIL+PAN+AND+OIL+PUMP
But not sure if this will work. Can someone please advise me or point me in the right direction?

2. I am using 1985 distributor which I put new module in and not sure which wires go to where. I have 2 white wires, one with red stripe, one with green and a black ground wire. Harness side has purple to positive side of coil and grey to negative then a white with green stripe and a solid green which I'm thinking goes to oil pressure sending unit. Any help with this well would be greatly appreciated!
I believe this question is wires to distributer related.. But I may be wrong