Tip- Using Studs to Ease Manifold/Riser Replacement

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I just replaced the manifolds and risers for the first time. I couldn't believe how easy it makes the job.

I've read tips about buying additional mani/riser blots and cutting the heads off them to make studs. That helps position these parts during disassembly/assembly. Home Depot (maybe Lowe's, too) sells 3/8-16 threaded rod in a 12" length for about 2 bucks. Easy to saw through and strong enough to hold the stuff in place. The finished 6" stud is plenty long for the manifolds and just long enough for the risers- it'll stick up 1/4 - 1/2" from the top of the riser. Easy to grab with pliers when it's time to remove them.

I'll tell ya, usng studs made it a snap to place the gaskets and then ease the manifolds onto the engine. For the risers, they helped support that weight while I was muscling the exhaust hoses onto the Y-pipe. A film of grease on the end of the hose and the lip of the pipe goes a long way, too.

I love simple solutions to making a job easier.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Workin' on heavy equipment, 'n diesels, I've got boxes of cut off bolts as guide pins, in various sizes,..... ;)

3/8"- 16 I've got in various lengths,.....

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
In a pinch you can use 2 long screwdrivers or something similar.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Using threaded rod for "alignment pins" works wonders to..... Thread it in, mount your part, thread in a few bolts by hand, remove the treaded rod, thread in the rest of the bolts....

NHGuy

Captain
Yup, been singing that song. Easy with the cut off bolts huh?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well that is how the manifoldscon my '88 OMC were installed from the factory....studs and nuts...it takes about 5 min to get them off once you slide down the exhaust hose. They are corrosion resistant and never rusted either. It's a much better system than the bolt into the head method...

Bondo

Staff member
Well that is how the manifoldscon my '88 OMC were installed from the factory....studs and nuts...it takes about 5 min to get them off once you slide down the exhaust hose. They are corrosion resistant and never rusted either. It's a much better system than the bolt into the head method...

Ayuh,...... IF yer motorbox has enough space to the sides of the motor,.....

I've been in a few, that bolts is the Only option,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep I have the big bench seat in front of the engine with wood bulkheads. When I re built the interior, I made the bulkhead right behind the seat in 2 halves with a take apart hinge in the middle. Also the seat is in 2 halves. So I just remove the seat and bulkhead on whichever side I have to work on. Then it's wide open

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Lou c said:
1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Rust may never sleep, but water will crack a block far quicker than rust will eat it away!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Stored with -100 marine antifreeze poured in. 15+ years in salt water raw water cooled.