Engine won't start

Commissar

Recruit
Hey everyone looking for some help. I have a 1994 Wellcraft eclips 196 with a mercruiser 5.0lx. Just bought the boat, been on it twice and it had been good. Last trip had some issues where it wouldn't try to start, but eventually took off. I tried to jumper the neutral safety switch, but not sure I know which wires they are, yellow/red? I also replaced the starter slave selenoid, but no luck. I get proper voltage at the ignition and on the wires going to the selenium. But no clicking or anything. If I jumper the two posts on top of the Soave selenoid it starts and runs. Highly ghetto though. What suggestions do you have? Batteries are at full charge.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the neutral safety is the 2 yellow or yellow/red stripe wires coming out of the control box. jumper those to check the switch. jumper`d together the motor will start in gear, so be careful . the ign key when turned to "start" supplies 12v to the small yellow/red wire at the slave solenoid, start there

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... Last trip had some issues where it wouldn't try to start, but eventually took off. ....

Need a bit of clarity on this...

When you say it didn't try to start, do you mean it would crank over, but not fire? Or do you mean it wouldn't even crank (turn over, engage the starter motor)?

When you say it 'took off'; when it eventually started, it accelerated without you doing anything (the boat moved forward)?

Chris.....

Commissar

Recruit
I tried connecting the yellow/red wires together and didn't get any change.

The last time out a few times when we tried to start I would get nothing, no clicks, no turning... Then after playing around s little bit with the throttle it would start and we would be good. For that reason I thought it would be the neutral safety switch, but even after jumping the wires I still got nothing.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Get yerself a Test Light, 'n chase down the problem,.....

Lotsa Great Info, 'n links to the factory manuals, up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of this forum,.....

Commissar

Recruit
Been testing with a DMM and everything appears to be operating as designed. Where I am now is that I believe everything comes back to the current coming into the starter slave solenoid from the ignition switch. I am getting over 12v on the smaller yellow/red wire coming into the slave solenoid when the key is turned, but no clicking of the solenoid. I took a positive 12v source from the top of the solenoid and hit the smaller wire and it clicked. Is this a bad connection at the ignition switch? What else could be causing low current from the ignition to the slave solenoid?